Saturday, January 11, 2014

I'm Becoming My Mother

A recipe post - finally! I mean; maybe you weren't exactly waiting with baited breath for me to post a recipe but I know I feel like I haven't cooked in ages and so I haven't shared any recipes! I made my Mom's Vegetable Beef soup on Wednesday night and I thought I'd share the recipe here with you - as well as a confession. First the recipe, then the confession below!

All kinds of things that go into making some yummy and filling soup!

Ingredients
-small package of ground beef
-8 ounces beef broth
-3 cups water
-1 can diced potatoes
-i can tomato sauce
-1 can corn
-1 can sliced (or diced) carrots
-1 can green beans (or peas; whichever you prefer - or both)
-chopped onion
-salt
-pepper
-oregano
-2 bay leaves


Crumbling up some beef - very odd feeling. Squish.

It smells amazing!

Crumble ground beef into soup pot.

Add the tomato sauce, water and beef broth. Drain about half the juice off each can of vegetables - then add in your vegetables with the remaining juices. 

Add spices; basically as you choose. I'm sorry - I don't have measurements for the spices; I just added them at random, but you do want two bay leaves. Trust me, as long as you don't dump a massive amount of oregano, salt and pepper in the pot you should be good! Season and taste, season and taste...

Bring soup to a boil, turn down to medium heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes, making sure the ground beef is well cooked. 

All cooked up - ready to eat!

A big ol bowl of delicious warmth!
And now the confession - I didn't eat very much of my own pot of soup when I made it! I never ate this when I was growing up because I don't really eat vegetables. The older I've gotten, the more vegetables I eat but apparently throwing them all together doesn't suit me as much as I'd hoped. Don't get me wrong - the soup tasted great and the broth was absolutely delicious - I just need to make a batch with less vegetables. 

I know - ironic. I'm sharing a VEGETABLE beef soup recipe and I don't really eat that many vegetables/I didn't eat this whole pot. I did eat my bowl of soup, granted I scooped around the green beans. I love green beans but not in soup, ha-ha! That being said - I'll make this again with some adjustments to the recipe. I shared the recipe because the soup is absolutely great - so make some of it, even though the extreme cold seems to have left all of us here in Mississippi for a little while - and enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment