Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Thanksgiving

Oh Thanksgiving break - so much fun! I mean, if you forget about the hassle of getting to Virginia and the nightmare of getting back to Mississippi...it was great! So, just a couple pictures from the four days of fun in Virginia and some stories as well. As always, it was a blast and makes me want to be in Virginia right now. Considering that I had so much trouble getting back to Mississippi...maybe it was a sign that I should have just stayed in Virginia? Ha-ha! ;)

Supper at Okra's Cajun Cuisine in Manassass; absolutely delicious and I was with my family!

I never get tired of this view - never. It is gorgeous every single time I'm in Virginia.

The Thanksgiving feast! Delicious as always!

Fighting the battle against Tryptophan naps after our delicious lunch...

Ha-ha; just being silly - we didn't need naps but we had to imitate Dad since he was sacked out and in another world.
My Dad decided on Thanksgiving afternoon; after we'd all stuffed ourselves with food, would be the perfect time to go take pictures for the potential family Christmas card. It was all well and good, except that since Lindsey and I don't live together anymore when we are together we tend to get a little bit silly. While my Dad was trying to adjust the camera, organize certain shots and get the right light...Lindsey and I were jumping around the train tracks, dancing around at the edge of the field, trying to climb the fence and talk to the horses...basically acting our ages (29 and 23)..right? I think we may have frustrated him just a little bit - but somehow that only managed to crack us up that much more. Blessedly we got the pictures made without anyone losing any limbs (even if we did make my Dad lose his mind a little bit) and then we rushed off to the movies to see Catching Fire - which was AWESOME. I think we even got my Dad hooked, since he asked as we left the theater when the next movie in the series comes out.

When we weren't busy acting wild....

See Dad - we can act right; even if it is only for the approximately 8 seconds it took to pose and capture this shot.

Gorgeous countryside!

So pretty!

YES! Finally seeing Catching Fire - so excited!
We did minimal Black Friday shopping once the movie was over. We considered going to Belk, but after we saw the line wrapping around almost three sides of the building, we passed. The line at H.H. Gregg wasn't that long and so we decided we'd see what they had to offer. At least, my Dad decided to - Lindsey and I were too busy taking crazy pictures, testing the couches and discussing Catching Fire while people scrambled around to see what they could find. Black Friday madness just isn't really my game - or apparently my families' thing either; I just don't see why people feel the need to practically kill one another (it happens every year - someone gets killed in pursuit of a 60" TV - so sad) over "things". I know doing Black Friday shopping is a tradition for some folks, but I'll pass. Give me my bed; I like to be asleep at 5 AM, not fighting people for some boots!

Where to go first? Kidding...we found the couch and watched.

Smile! I am test driving what will soon be my new car! Oh happy day!
Friday was a fairly relaxed day; we slept late and had some pretty delicious breakfast while we decorated my parent's house for Christmas. My Dad went to work around 1 and the three of us ladies headed out to see the movie Frozen and do some shopping. Frozen was another absolutely awesome movie; Disney scores again with amazing story-telling and really catchy songs, but the best part was that the movie was about the love between sisters - and that touched my heart! We shopped until we (almost) dropped once the movie was over and even though we hit the Black Friday deals pretty late in the day on Friday, we still managed to get quite a few deals! 

On Saturday we really only had one goal, to go to Harrisonburg to a place called the Book Fair. I'm getting ahead of myself though; first we stopped at the Shenandoah Ford and I got to test drive cars!! I thought I knew what I wanted and I even test drove what I thought I wanted...but then I spotted the Party Wagon (my car's new nickname - because it's a Ford Fiesta) and all bets were off. Lindsey and I took it for a spin and that was all it took, I was in love! Now - I don't have my shiny new ride just quite yet - I won't get it until Christmas but I get wildly excited just thinking about it. After having lunch in Harrisonburg, we went to the Book Fair! This place is literally two huge warehouses with almost every book you can think of and I don't think I saw a single book there that cost more than $6.50! I'm talking about books that have very recently come out on the market - and they were all super cheap. Since we are a completely bookworm-y family....we ended up with quite a haul...and didn't even spend that much! Another thing to love about Virginia! *sigh*

The Party Wagon - I can't wait for Christmas y'all!

The 8 tickets it took me to make 2 flights getting to Virginia. If I only knew what was to come...

Leaving the Book Fair with all our goodies!

A gorgeous sunset on Saturday night!
Saturday night we went to check out some Christmas light in a park in nearby Winchester. There was a mile long walking path through the park and there were lights on every inch of everything in that park! It was basically a Christmas wonderland. The weather was perfect too - it was a brisk 28 degrees outside, so we were all bundled up as we strolled through the lights - they even had hot chocolate for you to drink as you strolled. Also fascinating to me? There was a lake in the park and it was frozen! Of course it wasn't frozen solid but it was pretty well icy and for some reason that absolutely fascinated me - maybe because in my 29 years I've never really seen that? Who knows...but I thought it was cool!

Taking in the Christmas lights with some hot chocolate!

All of these lights were set to music...so cool!

Before the "fun" of traveling home began...
So there you have it - just a little glimpse into my Thanksgiving break! Now I'm counting down the days until Christmas break, because whenever my family is together, it is guaranteed to be an absolutely wonderful time!

No comments:

Post a Comment