Saturday, December 7, 2013

Galumpous

I'm sure you are looking at that title and thinking that I've veered into the land of craziness. I promise I haven't - this is actually a recipe post. I can't take credit for the name of the dish; that credit goes to my Great Aunt Joyce. My Aunt Joyce was my Dad's Aunt; his Dad's sister and she lived in California, which was wonderful for my parents when they were newly married and my Dad was stationed at Vandenburg AFB, in California! She shared some of her recipes with my Momma and so I'm sharing one of my favorites here with you.

Fun fact: Until about three years ago, I would NOT eat this. I don't know what is wrong with me but obviously something was. Thank goodness tastes change as we get older, because this is delicious.

Browning some ground beef....

Cooking up some noodles....

Spices and tomato sauce - always important.

Galumpous

-1 box noodles, any style...but small noodles work best
-1 small package ground beef
-2 tbsp. butter
-2 cans tomato sauce
-oregano
-cilantro
-parsley
-garlic
-pepper
-salt
-shredded mozzarella cheese
-shredded Swiss cheese
-Parmesan cheese

Cook your noodles, drain and set aside.

Brown ground beef with just a little butter until fully cooked; all pink should be gone. Add in both cans of tomato sauce, oregano, cilantro, parsley, garlic, pepper and salt. Cook on low heat for about 5-10 minutes until all flavors cook together. *I don't have measurements for the spices, I literally just toss it in until I think it looks right and go from there - it will taste good however you do it, as long as you don't dump the whole bottle of cilantro in - unless you just REALLY love cilantro.*

Preheat the oven to 350

You will layer in the pan; starting first with noodles. Top with a mixture of shredded mozzarella, shredded Swiss and Parmesan cheese. Top with sauce mixture. I had enough for two layers; depending on how much you choose to make/how deep your dish is, you may be able to make more. Top the last sauce layer with the shredded cheeses.

Bake at 350 for 25 minutes - allow to cool for about 2-3 minutes and then dig in! This is great with some garlic bread on the side!

Layering is key....always layer!

Ready for the oven!

Delicious and warm, straight from the oven and into your belly!

Layers of delicious!
So there you have it - a meal I love to make. It is easy but tastes like something you spent a long time on! I guarantee this will be a hit, no matter who you serve it to! 

No comments:

Post a Comment