Monday, September 2, 2013

And then Plans Changed...

So - as I mentioned; my plans for the week changed dramatically on Wednesday afternoon. I'd been planning to go home, finish my packing and make sure my house was in order so I could head to Colorado Springs for Parent's Weekend. My Pops (which would be my Dad's Dad) had been in the hospital since Sunday but things seemed to be on the up and up for him - I was planning to head to the hospital when I got off work on Wednesday to see him - but my Mom called me at 4:40 to let me know that he'd passed away.

Just like that, all our plans changed. Flights were cancelled, hotel rooms were cancelled, my parents were in the car coming toward Mississippi within just a couple hours of that phone call while also booking a flight for my sister. I was given the rest of the week off and I immediately went home and started throwing my house together since I was suddenly set to have house guests as opposed to going away for the weekend. I cleaned up, got the guest room ready and on Thursday I headed to town to get some kind of food - I had absolutely none in my house. Literally - I had half a box of Special K, a little bit of coconut gelato and a few random snack foods.

The whole family was over at the house on Thursday night to eat - my office so kindly gave us two huge sandwich trays from Subway that fed all of our family twice. And there is still some pimento and cheese leftover; which this girl is pretty thrilled about. It's a newly discovered favorite food!

He was so thrilled I was at home on Thursday morning that he slept in until 8:30. Bum.

Knowing there would be people at the house, I figured I should warn them in advance that my microwave didn't work...

Waiting for his Poppy & Nana to arrive from Virginia.

My parents booked Lindsey on a red-eye out of Denver, leaving Friday morning around 12:45 and she flew through the night, arriving in Jackson at 8:30. My Mom and I set out at 7 AM on Friday toward Jackson to pick up our little package. She was all smiles after a nap on the flight from Atlanta and we headed back toward Collinsville, planning a quick stop to see our friend Hope and her grandson Micah before going back to my house. The four of us tried to relax on Friday night because we knew Saturday would be a long day.

Traveling with the sunrise on Friday morning...

Hitchhiker at the airport...

Cruising down the road, someone was all smiles...at least for this picture.

Cutest little fellow ever - absolutely precious.

Homemade Mac & Cheese - courtesy of a kind church member. It was delicious.

My parents brought this from VA - it is also absolutely delicious. 

Watson immediately fell right back into his begging...

Saturday morning was the visitation and my Pops' funeral. I'm not going to talk about that too much; everything went well and while it was nice to see all my family and some people I've not seen in a while, you hate the reason that you were all coming together. My sister and I sang at the funeral and I know my Pops enjoyed the song; after all, he was watching from Heaven and it doesn't get much better than that. We all loved our Pops and we know we will see him again one day.

Obviously Watson would rather sleep on his blanket than in his bed...

Begging some strawberry yogurt from Lindsey...

My Pops' church family at Midway Baptist Church provided us all with lunch - it was delicious. I'm telling you, little ol Southern ladies know how to cook some food!

A jungle sprung up in my backseat...so many plants...

Watson taking it all in on Saturday night...

A sweet gift from a friend - I love it & it was so thoughtful.

My kitchen now looks like a greenhouse...

My family.

We stayed home on Sunday; my Dad and the rest of us were just all so tired from the events of Saturday. Obviously my Dad wasn't too tired though because around 10, he decided he'd recruit everyone to do yard work with him outside my house. We raked...and burned leaves...and mowed grass...and washed cars...and just did general yard clean-up. While raking, I was the lucky person to stumble upon not one, but two baby copperheads. I am not exaggerating when I tell you that I screamed like I was being killed. The only good snake is a dead snake and my Dad made sure to take care of both of the snakes in lightning fast time. I'm going to be extra paranoid about snakes for a while now...

We had a late lunch at Cane's because my Momma loves Cane's and they don't have that in their part of Virginia. I'm pretty sure that is the only restaurant they don't have in their part of Virginia, but maybe I'm wrong. We visited with family again so my Dad and his family could start sorting through all of my Pops' paperwork and then we went to Wal Mart. Once we came home, I planted flowers while my parents, Lindsey and Watson went to walk at the dam. It was a long but good day - thank goodness we got to sleep in today because I was worn out again!

This being in my yard is NOT okay.

She wanted to weed eat. Wanted to,. I'm not sure we are related...

Getting a little too relaxed in Bed, Bath & Beyond? Maybe....

Mums in the wheelbarrow on the porch...

Mums in the basket hanging from the porch...

Mums everywhere! I am just a little ready for Fall.

So - plans changed. I hate the reason the plans changed; I wish I could know my Pops would still be here with us, but I also know that he is healthy, healed and with Jesus. The last time I saw my Pop, on Monday, I told him I'd love him and I'd see him soon. Those are both true things - I loved my Pops and I will see him again in Heaven one day. I'm glad I got to see my family and spend time with them. In this life, we must find the good in even the less than good situations and make the most of each day. I've made the most of the last few days with my family...and will continue to do so until they head home...whenever that is...

Also - I don't know about y'all, but I'm ready for Autumn to get here like...NOW!

Trying to force Autumn into happening...maybe it will work?

No comments:

Post a Comment