Friday, July 31, 2020

July Things

Today would normally be an edition of Five on Friday - but I don't have too much to share this week, so I'm just going to pause that this week and go ahead with my July Favorites instead! 

July – seventh month of the year

Anticipations

I have to say - what is there to look forward to in this crazy pandemic-crazed world we live in? I realize that sounds very bleak and certainly, there is joy to be found in the small things but I miss being able to anticipate a vacation or going to a Nationals game or just going into DC for the weekend... all things that aren't really options right now.

I discovered this month that I need quite a bit of dental work done and so I anticipate being very glad when that's all over and done with, ha-ha! The first appointment (my evaluation at the endodontist) is August 4th - let the "fun" begin! 

Books I Read

The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett - From Good Reads: A stunning new novel about twin sisters, inseparable as children, who ultimately choose to live in two different worlds, one black and one white. Once I started reading it, I didn't want to stop. This book has received a lot of buzz recently and I can understand why - it's excellent. 

The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah - A synopsis: Alaska, 1974. Unpredictable. Unforgiving. Untamed. For a family in crisis, the ultimate test of survival. This book may go down as my favorite of this year! I listened to it via Audible and then purchased a hard copy and read it again - it's that good! This book is spectacular - I just cannot say enough about how much I love it!

The Hamilton Affair by Elizabeth Cobbs - From Good Reads: Set against the dramatic backdrop of the American Revolution, the books tells the sweeping, tumultuous, true love story of Alexander Hamilton and Elizabeth Schuyler from tremulous beginning to bittersweet ending. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and especially loved the little places where the book's story line would sync up with the musical Hamilton. Definitely a good read!

Mexican Gothic by Silvia Moreno-Garcia - From Good Reads: An isolated mansion. A chillingly charismatic aristocrat. And a brave socialite drawn to expose their treacherous secrets. This was my Book of the Month for July and I wasn't sure how I'd feel about it... but man what a great read! The story has suspense, mystery, horror and the descriptions of the surroundings are so very sumptuous that they feel... REAL! Once I started this book, I couldn't put it down and devoured it within 72 hours. Just so excellent!

Home Before Dark by Riley Sager - A synopsis: Every house has a story. Ours is a ghost story.It's also a lie. And now that yet another person has died within these walls, if's finally time to tell the truth.This book was my friend's Book of the Month for July! We swapped and this one was another page turner! The story is mysterious and filled with vivid descriptions and twists that arrive unexpectedly. I also read this one over the course of a weekend!

Books on the Shelf 

While I obviously haven't been slow on the reading, I still have plenty of books on the shelf to entertain me for (likely) the next few months. I'm also now a member of the Book of the Month club (use my link: https://www.mybotm.com/idelcipzc0e?show_box=true  to join) and so I'm guaranteed a new book each month! 

Movies of the Month

Hamilton - Oh my goodness. I understand the hype completely. I was pretty thrilled when it was announced that Hamilton would be on Disney+... the show was meant to be at the Kennedy Center this Summer but tickets were insanely priced and then; of course, COVID arrived on the scene and it was all cancelled. I chose to download the soundtrack ahead of watching and so by the time July 3rd arrived, I knew most of the songs by heart!


Pin on Hamilton

The show is just - a complete work of genius. There's no other way to put it. Lin-Manuel Miranda captures the spirit of young America and puts a hip-hop spin on it and the whole thing, from the staging to the performers and the songs - it's just a feast for the creative senses. I love it. And I've watched it more than twice. 

Alas, no other movies to share this month. The local Alamo Drafthouse is open again but the only movies it's showing are re-runs of classics and favorites like The Empire Strikes Back, Avengers, The Princess Bride, Indiana Jones... and so, I haven't been to the theater this month. 

Must See TV

Somebody Feed Phil - What an absolute gem this show is! I was directed toward it by a favorite podcast called The Big Boo Cast and I have fallen in love! Phil Rosenthal (the creator of Everybody Loves Raymond) travels the world sharing meals, culture, experiences and generally - just kindness - with everyone he meets!


Is 'Somebody Feed Phil' available to watch on Netflix in Australia ...

The travel aspect is a delight (especially when he travels to a place I've been) and seeing the unique and delicious foods is fun, but I think the real draw is that Phil is such a genuine person who shares his positive outlook on life and the joy he feels with everyone he meets. This gem of a show is on Netflix - there are currently three seasons with a fourth coming later this year.

I'll Have What Phil's Having - This show is the precursor to Somebody Feed Phil and can be found on PBS (or be bought on Amazon Prime). This show is only six episodes but has the same wonderful spirit as Somebody Feed Phil. If you enjoy Somebody Feed Phil and want just a little bit more Phil in your life - this is the place to get it!

Amazon.com: Watch I'll Have What Phil's Having | Prime Video

Tasty Treats

Another month filled with delicious dining - how lucky! In early July I caved and finally got a Frosted Animal Crackers Blizzard which was as delicious as I'd imagined it would be and on July 4th we had a delicious vanilla cake from West Oaks Farmer Market to go along with out burgers - so very tasty! I had the most divine meal at Regions 117: Apricot & Mint Soup, a Turkey Wrap with Roasted Sweet Potato Wedges and a scoop of Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream - *sigh*



I enjoyed a Fruity Pebble cone dipped in Birthday Cake coating and two delicious bowls of soup: Corn Chowder and Broccoli Cheddar! My family had dinner at The Bavarian Inn and I enjoyed Shepherd's Pie with Green Beans and split a slice of Black Forest Cake that melted in my mouth! The end of the month was marked with the arrival of a box filled with UK treats sent from my sister, a box of macarons from my favorite spot, Olivia Macaron and a Key Lime Pie that was Weight Watchers friendly! I'm stuffed just typing all that.... 

Tunes & Talks 

I'm still listening to the Hamilton soundtrack like it's my job, ha-ha! I'm unnecessarily proud of the face that I've learned several snippets of the rap portions - as if Lin-Manuel Miranda will pop out of a bush and ask me to perform! I've also been listening to the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack (I know - that's out of left field) when I'm walking/jogging because it just really has such an excellent beat!

Cold - This is a podcast that I actually finished up today and it covers the Susan Powell case that was first covered in a short episode of Crime Junkies. This podcast has 18 episodes and breaks down the entire weird, sad and strange situation surrounding the Susan Powell case. It was incredibly interesting; if a little sad at times!

**************************************************

Y'all - tomorrow is August 1st. There are only five months left of this year and so far, it's been a wild ride. I think way back in April (which somehow seems ages ago and also just a few days ago) we thought the world would be back to normal by now - but I have to question if the world will be back to normal before this year ends. 

I suppose we keep doing our best, caring about other people and trying to find the joy in this strange year that is unfolding before us. That's what I'm trying to do - each and every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment