Tuesday, June 30, 2020

June Things

June – Sixth Month of the Year

Anticipations

Back to Work - That's right... after SIXTEEN weeks of working from home, I am returning to work at my office on July 6th and I find myself looking forward to it SO much. Mostly because it will mean getting out of the house and seeing some other people from day to day!


How not to bring Covid-19 when we return to work - Times of India

There will of course be masks worn throughout the day and an abundance of hand washing and hand sanitizer and social distancing... but at least I can do so while interacting with a couple of my friends!

Baseball - I don't know how I feel about it but baseball will (supposedly) be back starting July 23rd with the Nationals facing off against the Yankees at Nationals Park. The players are supposed to report on July 3rd for Summer Training but already a couple players have opted out of not playing - which I totally understand!

Yankees-Nationals, Gerrit Cole's debut to highlight MLB opening day

Just today the Scherzers posted that they've arrived back in DC - so things are about to get rolling! I would be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to seeing some games but above all, I want everyone to stay healthy! 

Books I Read

A Good Marriage by Kimberly McCreight - This book was a murder mystery thriller and it kept me guessing right up to the very last pages! It was my first book of the month and I am so glad I chose it; it hooked me from the start and I ended up reading it in about three days! So very good!

The Library of Legends by Janie Chang - A book I chose as an add on to my June box; it's set in China during the mid-1930's and follows college students as they escape from university and make their way across war-torn China. The book was slow to get started and I struggled a bit to get through it but finally finished it over the last weekend and thought it was a good little story.

Stand All the Way Up by Sophie Hudson - I love all of Sophie's book and I especially love how she offers guidance and spiritual wisdom with a good dose of hilarity! I've joked before that's she my "spirit animal" and I couldn't agree more after reading this book! It was so delightful that I devoured it in 48 hours! 

Books on the Shelf

I have several options on the shelf to read but the most pressing are the Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett and The German Girl by Armando Lucas Correa - they are at the top of the list. I also chose the book Mexican Gothic by Silvia Morena-Garcia as my July Book of the Month - so I have plenty to take off the shelf and explore!

Must See TV

Space Force - I confess that I don't know if this is "must see TV" but I did watch all ten episodes when it premiered in early June (I actually think it premiered in late May but I didn't get to it until June). It made me laugh... for the most part. Some of the episodes were just a little bit too silly but I love Steve Carrell and I enjoyed the laughter and lightness the show provided!


Space Force Review | TV Show - Empire

Movies of the Month

Well - I didn't see any new movies this month but hopefully that will change as the second half of the year unfolds! I did get to attend a screening of Raiders of the Lost Ark at the Alamo that was put together by a friend in the neighborhood. I've seen Raiders a hundred times but I've certainly never gotten to see it on the big screen - so that was a fun experience! 

Tasty Treats

Oh man, what a month it was! I tried out a recipe for a Peanut Butter, Banana and Honey Grilled Sandwich that was to die for... *sigh* and we had a salad night one evening for dinner that was just so very delicious! We had dinner out at Griffin Tavern and my burger; topped with bacon, Swiss cheese, chipotle mayo and onions, was one of the best burgers I've ever had. That's all.


We had brunch at Regions and their French Toast with Berry Coulee never fails to impress! We also had some delicious meals while in Gatlingburg; I especially enjoyed my drinks and food at Best Italian and the Orange Walnut Pancakes at Pancake Pantry were divine! 

Tunes & Talks 

I suppose I'll share it down here because I didn't read it, I listened to it... Such A Fun Age by Kiley Reid; which took me a little bit to get into but once I did, it was all I listened to until I finished it! So good and especially interesting given all the things going on in the world right now. I also listened to The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah on Audible and absolutely enjoyed it - she is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors! The characters were incredibly fleshed out and the story line was captivating and heart-wrenching!

I continued to listen to The Popcast with Knox and Jamie, Crime Junkies and The Big Boo Cast. I've been listening to playlists on Apple Music that are filled with a variety of songs - some instrumental, some pop/rock, some show tunes - all right up my alley and I'm still listening to the soundtrack from the fifth season of Outlander - I love those Scottish-inspired tunes!

I have also spent the last week listening to the Hamilton soundtrack pretty much... Non-Stop (that's a Hamilton reference, if you weren't aware). I am in some serious anticipation for Friday the 3rd when I can watch the show on Disney+ and enjoy every minute of it!

********************************************************

And just like that - we are at the halfway point of 2020. What a year it's been so far!?! I'm sure that this year hasn't gone the way that anyone predicted and who knows what the back half of the year has in store? 

No comments:

Post a Comment