About Me

My photo
A 30-something living in the foothills of the Virginia mountains; I'm saved by grace, addicted to coffee and my little sister is my best friend! I devote most of my time to exploring, reading, attending as many Nationals games as possible and documenting life here. My Prince Charming got lost somewhere along the way...but I'm trying to remain hopeful that true love exists.

Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 12, 2015

Ham & Bacon Corn Chowder

Let me level with you - while the chicken may not have been perfection on the first try...this recipe here is something that I cannot proclaim over enough. It was delicious, from the first taste to the bite I had today warmed up as leftovers. I am a huge fan of soup/stew/chowder and this recipe certainly didn't disappoint! This is originally a Paula Deen recipe (and there is no butter y'all...amazing) so I felt like it was bound to be tasty - and I was right!

All the makings of some delicious chowda!

I'm pretty sure I would have been content to eat just this...

What You Need

- 6-8 pieces of bacon; cooked
- 1 package of Hormal small diced ham
- 4 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 cans cream-style corn
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cups half & half

Oh my yes - starting to look & smell heavenly...

Half & Half always makes things nicer, am I right?

What You'll Do

- In a medium stock pot add bacon, potatoes, oregano and onion. Cook over medium-low heat until the onions are translucent; about 7 minutes.

- Pour in the chicken stock, corn and ham. Bring this to a boil, reduce the heat to low and cover the pot. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.

- In a small saucepan, warm the half & half but do NOT boil. Add the warm half & half just before serving.

- Garnish with chives, shredded cheddar cheese or whatever else you think would make this dish especially delicious! Enjoy!


The finished chowder - ready to be chowed down on.

I'll take all the bowls please.
I don't know what your weather is going to be like over the next few days but here in the Commonwealth of Virginia, it is going to be cold. I mean cold as in - COLD - the high on Sunday is 18! So it's perfect soup weather and this one kicked things off perfectly with it's warm, creamy and delicious taste! I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment