Thursday, June 5, 2014

Cajun Chicken Sausage & Rice

I know - I made some dramatic statement about not being able to blog much but I guess I've had more free time on my hands than I thought I would. I somehow seem to have more free time on my hands at work right now than I do at home...and my home might as well be called the land of boxes. Oh Lordy...don't get me started on that...

I'm trying desperately to get rid of the food I have in my house and I've got to pack up the old crock pot soon, so I wondered to myself what might happen if I put chicken and sausage into the crock pot together; kind of a last crock pot meal hurrah/throw it all in the pot. I felt fairly confident that it would turn out just fine and I was not disappointed - so if you want something quick and delicious, then perhaps try this!

Before I dug right in - this was easy and tasted SO good!

What You Need

- 5 or 6 boneless chicken tenders; frozen
- 1 medium link of sausage; frozen
- 16 ounces chicken broth
- 1/2 tbsp onion flakes
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp Cajun style seasoning

Additional Ingredients

- Rice, however you choose to make it...I'm a Minute Rice kind of girl!
- 2 tbsp butter


I mean, deliciousness - it smelled heavenly!

Please excuse my "fine china"...all my real dishes are in boxes...

To Make It

- Throw the chicken tenders and sausage in your crock pot. Sprinkle with the onion flakes, garlic powder and Cajun seasoning. My measurements are just an estimate, if you want it to be more spicy then add away!

- Cover the meat and spices with chicken broth and give it all a good swirl! Cook on low for approximately 8-9 hours. This cooked while I was at work, so it started around 7:30 and I ate it pretty soon after I got home at 5:30.

- After cooking, turn the crock pot to warm. Shred the chicken with a fork and cut the sausage into more bite size pieces. Drop one tbsp of butter into the mixture and let it slowly melt; stir together.

- Cook your rice however you please and if you so desire, add in a tbsp of butter. 

- Ladle the chicken and sausage mixture over rice and serve hot. Delicious!

So yummy - seriously....
So - there you have it. A recipe that serves as a way to begin the process of cleaning out the freezer. So this meal served two purposes: it got rid of food that I just can't take to Virginia and it made me a happy, full person. If you make this, you too can be a happy, full person! 

No comments:

Post a Comment