Thursday, February 27, 2014

Favorite Things Thursday...Cooking Edition

So, one of my favorite things of all time is Cugino's soup mixes, they are so completely delicious and make cooking something good for supper so easy! However, I am kind of a stickler when it comes to potato soup and while I do like the Perfect Potato soup mix I wanted it to be a bit more...thick, creamy and filling. So, I got crafty tonight and turned my bag soup mix into what might be my favorite potato soup yet!

Ingredients....ingredients....

The one thing that I did before I started cooking was to dump the bag soup mix over a colander - the soup mix comes with small pieces of dried potato that; while they serve just fine, I wanted to take out and do more with. So I put a colander over my soup pot, let the soup mix and spices go through and weeded out the potato pieces...and then we were off to the races!


Some delicious root vegetables, cooking away!

Bacon and the bag soup mix, awaiting the rest of the ingredients....

Ingredients
- 1 bag of Cugino's Perfect Potato Soup mix
- 4/5 small potatoes
-5/6 small carrots
-3 cups milk
-3 cups water
-1 cup half & half
-1 cup reserved potato water
-2 tsp. sour cream
-4/6 pieces of bacon, torn into pieces
-1 tsp. parsley
-1 tsp. black pepper
-1 tsp. dried onion 
-1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
-2 tbsp. butter, cut into cubes


The beginning of the soup...before everything was good and combined...

The soup starting to look absolutely delicious; thick and creamy...just like I wanted.

How to Cook It

- Wash and scrub potatoes and carrots, cut into small pieces. Cook for about ten minutes or until tender; they should be easily pierced with a fork. Set aside one cup of potato/carrot cooking liquid.

- In soup pot, empty the Cugino's soup mix, (minus the potato pieces) bacon pieces, parsley, pepper, onion, milk, half & half, water, cup of reserved potato water, butter, sour cream and cheddar cheese, mixing well.

- Bring to a low boil on medium heat, then turn down to medium/low heat and cook for approximately twenty minutes. Stir frequently to keep from sticking to the bottom of the pot.

- Serve garnished with cheddar cheese...or bacon pieces...or sour cream. Perhaps all three! Enjoy!

Absolutely delicious!

So good with potatoes and carrots - yummy & with more veggies!
So - there you have it! One of my favorite things, turned into a new favorite thing! Try this out and I know you'll love it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment