Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Unexpected Encouragement

"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing." 1 Thessalonians 5:11

 I've already posted these pictures - so this isn't really a new post or anything. I just wanted to elaborate on these pictures a little bit more. I'm sure some of you have seen the Facebook status that was going around at the beginning of the year about random acts of kindness. The idea is that five people respond to your post and sometime during the year, you will get a little happy, book, surprise in the mail. The catch is that you in turn must post the challenge to your status so you can pass on the kindness. I thought it seemed like a neat idea, so I commented on the status of one Victoria Johnson. She is seriously crafty - I've had her make an anniversary gift for my parents last October that was amazing and was a really big hit with them. She needs to open a business. She needs an Etsy shop (maybe she has one & I am totally clueless, which is too possible) because she has skills. Anyway - enough on that.

Wednesday was pretty much like any other Wednesday & I was just completely glad to be headed home after another day of work. I knew I was expecting packages from 1-800 Contacts & Pet Meds, but neither of those deliveries is that thrilling, right? I mean - the Pet Meds are to Watson because he gets a free dog bone, but that's about it in the thrill department because he hates the meds...especially since they gave him a bad fur day. Oops. I'm rambling. There was a third package & when I saw who it was from, my first thought was that I'd asked her to make something & completely forgotten about it. That made me think that I probably was supposed to pay her & hadn't...so I had a mild freak out, ha-ha. About halfway home it hit me what this was - I had responded to her random acts of kindness status & that was really the only explanation. After that realization, I was excited to get home & see what was in the box.

A box full of happiness!


I was not disappointed. The contents of the box are enough to make anyone feel mildly weepy, but there was also a really lovely card stuck to the top of it that I read before I even looked at the picture. I'll keep the card to myself (not because it is scandalous or anything...) because I don't really think I need to share that, but I was already crying a bit from reading the card & then I looked at the framed print & really started crying. I'm pretty sure my dog thought I'd lost it at this point. That & he just really wanted me to open "his" package so he could have his dog bone. It was really a nice moment.

Settled in the new place of honor in my kitchen!



Really nice words - I need to be reminded of this sometimes.



This was such an unexpected surprise...but more than that, it was an unexpected encouragement. It is the kind of encouragement that I can look at every day. I don't necessarily get down on myself or depressed, but certainly there are days that are not as good as others. There are times when I wonder what the world is coming to & I think that maybe there are no good people left in this world - but then little things like this happen & I have to re-think my whole philosophy. I think that is a good thing though. I'm always looking for good things that make me see the world in a better light. So - thank you Victoria. You made a good day even better & on a bad day, this will make it a little bit better.

*Side note - only 2 whole people commented on my status when I made it the random acts of kindness post...which kind of bummed me out, especially since this so made my day. I'd love to make some other people's day(s)...so if you read this blog post & comment about it on Facebook, I'll take the first 3 comments & add them to the 2 people that I've already got. Mom & Victoria - you can comment, but you don't count. Ha-ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment