Friday, December 30, 2022

A Chilly Yuletide Season

Greetings Friends - there are basically 48 hours left in 2022! How have we arrived here so quickly? I wanted to share snaps from the Christmas weekend with you as we get ready to close out this lovely year and move into a new one!

 

It was absolutely frigid here in Northern Virginia for Christmas! Friday night, Ryan and I had a little date at Spring House Tavern and this meant we made the decision to head out into the night when the temperatures were hovering around 5 degrees (-17 with the wind chill) - it was brisk! We had a wonderful date night and then headed home and continued some traditions of making Christmas sugar cookies (my family) and dipping pretzels and Ritz in chocolate (Ryan's family). 

 




Christmas Eve dawned bright and brisk (still) - although it was a smidge warmer and cracked the teens during the day, ha-ha! We didn't get up to much early in the day, but we headed to visit with my parents shortly after lunch and then went to the Christmas Eve service at church - which is always wonderful! 



We headed back to my parents for a little Christmas Eve get together with family friends, chatted and caught up with some people and just enjoyed some good company! We had all the delicious things: meatballs (which the husband enjoyed, ha-ha), Rotel Dip, pigs-in-a-blanket, magic squares, the best cheese dip ever, the list goes on and on... we headed home full and settled in to watch White Christmas before hitting the hay!




We started our Christmas day with coffee - always - and a reading of the Christmas Story done by my sweet husband, after which we did the Christmas Advent. I should note that my husband woke up before 6 AM and whispered to me "it's Christmas". *insert laughter* We opened our stockings and some presents from "Santa" before we exchanged gifts with one another.


Ryan gave me wonderful gifts - but one that I will always hold especially close is a pinecone ornament that has petals (I know they aren't called petals) with the words to our first dance song. One petal has our last name and the date of our wedding and another says "I love you more". It might have made me cry, I love it so much!

We headed to my parents shortly before lunch time with our amazing Christmas t-shirts on - and they cracked my parents up! We thought we were pretty cute in our matching shirts (or at least I did, ha-ha).




We had the most wonderful Christmas dinner - my Mom always does such an amazing job and I made my small contribution with some corn casserole and rolls. Everything was so very delicious and then when we were all stuffed, we gathered around to exchange presents and Ryan and I were blessed indeed! We also watched the movie Die Hard - a first for me. All I can say is... it's pretty violent.



It was a beautiful Christmas and we headed home with our car even more stuffed than it was when we headed to my parents, ha-ha! Monday the 26th was also a special day because it was Ryan's birthday! We ate a little breakfast and then got ourselves put together and headed toward DC! My parents gifted Ryan tickets to see Trans-Siberian Orchestra in concert and so after a stop at Red Robin, we made our way to Capital One, settled into our seats and rocked out to some lasers, fire and Christmas rock!





 



 


My Apple Watch was very worried for my hearing - but you know, what can you do? When you're rocking out... you just have to go with it! Hehehe! 

I can't believe it's December 30th! Less than thirty-six hours left in this year - and what a year it was. Life-changing to be sure! I'll have a year in recap post tomorrow and then I'll probably be jumping off until mid-week next week - we are headed to Asheville today to celebrate Christmas and the New Year with my precious in-laws! 

No comments:

Post a Comment