Monday, April 19, 2021

Coffee, Cliffs & Chickie's Rock

 I think Pennsylvania might be growing on me... I can't begin to imagine why (insert laughter emoji here) but I am really enjoying all the time I've been spending in the Keystone state over the last month and a half. The weather this weekend was glorious - I mean, look at that picture I took on the way into the PA countryside on Friday afternoon. Beautiful I tell you!


 

It was also a wee bit windy on Friday night - as you can see in that picture of my hair whipping around my face - but that didn't deter us from exploring a little bit of the countryside as Ryan showed me where he grew up and we even checked out the Amish schoolhouse. The sign on the schoolhouse says "no tourists" and Ryan assured me that we weren't tourists.

We had dinner at YP (Your Place) - they are famous for their Stromboli and it was pretty freaking delicious; we ate every bite. We also had ice cream at Friendly's and watched a movie - it was a great way to spend a Friday night. And Saturday morning we were up and at it a lot earlier than I imagined... having breakfast at Whisk shortly after 8 AM! What? I had a Pecan Pie Latte and Fluffer Nutter French Toast and every bite of it was to die for delicious. 

 


After a CVS stop, some time spent perusing the mall and visiting a couple jewelry stores (hmmm...) we changed into more dressed down clothes and set off for the walk/hike to the White Cliffs of Conoy. I don't know that I'd call it a hike because the pathway is paved and relatively flat, but we did scoot off the trail a couple times to walk up to the top of the ridge and peek at the river down below. It was a lovely day out and there were people all along the trail - the "hike" was right at 1.5 miles but we went a little past that.


 


The cliffs are made from Limestone and Dolomite that were left behind when the limestone quarry that was near the river went out of business. They were pretty impressive to see and when you are standing at the top, they look much higher up than you'd think. I stayed far away from the edge but Ryan was eager to peer over as much as possible... which is hard to do when you're girlfriend won't let go of your hand to let you creep closer. Hehehe!


 




We had a late lunch at a spot on the trail near a lookout for the bald eagle nest perched in a tree along the river, made the hike back and then headed back to the house. When I say it was a late lunch - it was around 3:30 when we finally ate! We watched some TV for a while and then Ryan cooked a late dinner (which was delicious) and we chatted for a good while. 

Sunday morning dawned bright and early and after coffee and breakfast, it was off to church and then because the food was so freaking good at Whisk - we went back for lunch on Sunday! It was glorious outside and we were able to snag a table in the sunshine. The food did not disappoint this time around either; I had a Blackberry Bacon Grilled Cheese with fresh fruit and gosh - it was divine. The company was pretty spectacular too!

 

 

After lunch we changed into hiking clothes again and went to do the hike to Chickies Rock - which is only a few minutes up the road from the house. This was more of a hike than a walk, but still not anything I'd consider intense. The hike was less than a mile and led to a rock outcrop that overlooks the river and the railroad tracks and offers some seriously amazing views! 



 


All too soon it was time to pack things back up and head toward Virginia - and blessedly the traffic was just as light going to Virginia on Sunday afternoon as it had been going to Pennsylvania on Friday afternoon! I arrived home to Five Guys for dinner, a new Washington Nationals oven mitt and a pup who had missed me very much! I was able to get everything un-packed and watch the new episode of Home Town before I started fading and crawled into bed.


It was another wonderful weekend and I cannot believe there is only one more in the month of April!

1 comment: