Friday, November 27, 2020

Five on Friday

It's the final Friday in the month of November - hold on to your hat because the last month of 2020 is coming in hot and before we know it, 2020 will be on it's way out.... which I feel like most of us will welcome. 


One. A COVID Test - Well... this week brought about an experience I didn't think I'd be having; I got to have a COVID test done! My boss decided that before I returned to work I should have a COVID test done... especially with the cases on the rise here in the US and so on Tuesday I made my way to the local CVS and swabbed it up.



I've been working from home this week which isn't my favorite thing to do (I know - I'm in the minority on that) and I'm patiently waiting on the results of my test. I have 0 symptoms, so unless I'm asymptomatic, I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a negative on the test... which is actually a positive thing, ha-ha! What a unique year it's been, am I right?

Two. Thanksgiving 2020 - It seems crazy to think that yesterday was Thanksgiving but another 2020 holiday is in the books and the celebration was (like most of this year) a bit different. My family was spread out across the globe: one of us in Mississippi, one of us in Virginia and the other two in the United Kingdom. We all had our meals... at different times and in different places.



I was lucky enough to be invited to celebrate Thanksgiving with some dear friends who are also neighbors and the spread was so delicious! I piled my plate with Brussel Sprout Salad, Corn Casserole, Rolls, Fried Okra, Dressing & Chicken, Sweet Potato Bites, Cranberry, Orange Salad and Bacon & Cheese Crescents. I'm full just reading all of that! Oh - and there was also a divine Chocolate & Peppermint Trifle. 

Three. Sweet Potato Bites - The first dish I contributed to the Thanksgiving feasting was Sweet Potato Bites; a recipe I sort of stumbled on and decided I really wanted to try. They turned out so well and I thought I'd share that recipe with you! 


What You Need
  • 3 medium sweet potatoes (scrubbed clean)
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp. heavy cream
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 8 ounce can of refrigerated crescent rolls
  • 3/4 cup mini marshmallows
What You Do
  • Preheat the oven to 375 and grease a mini muffin tin with cooking spray. Pierce the sweet potatoes with a fork and microwave 15 minutes. If your potatoes aren't fork tender after 15 minutes, continue microwaving in 30 second increments.
  • When potatoes are cooked through, scrape filling into a large bowl and discard skin. Using a potato masher, mash sweet potatoes until smooth. Add brown sugar, heavy cream, cinnamon, vanilla and salt; whisk to combine.
  • On a lightly floured surface, roll out crescent dough and pinch together seams. Cut into 24 squares and place in muffin tin cups.
  • Spoon a heaping tablespoon of sweet potato mixture into each crescent square, then top with mini marshmallows and bake until crescent pastry is golden; about 15 minutes. 
*You can also add a pecan to each bite when you pull them out of the oven. If so, add the pecan, brush with maple syrup and cook an additional 5 minutes. I refrained from using pecans because of a nut allergy at the home I was enjoying Thanksgiving at!*

Four. Bacon & Swiss Crescents - The other item I decided to take was a appetizer of sorts; a savory bread made with crescent rolls. It was a little bit of a last minute decision and my Mom came through (from across the pond) with the recipe! It was also a hit and so I thought I'd share it here also!


What You Need
  • 1 8 ounce package refrigerated crescent rolls; flatted into a sheet
  • 1 cup real bacon pieces
  • 1 cup shredded Italian blend cheese
What You Do
  • Preheat over to 375; mix together bacon and cheese.
  • On a lightly floured surface, roll out your crescent dough and spread bacon and cheese mixture over the crescent rolls. Roll lengthwise and bake for 12 minutes - or until browned.
  • Remove from over and slice.
*I ended up cooking my bread roll about 15 minutes as opposed to 12 and it worked perfectly!*

Five. This Seems Accurate - A portion of the lights on the Christmas tree in the living room just decided to give up this week... and if that doesn't seem like a completely 2020 thing, I don't know what does.


Y'all have a good weekend and soak up the good where you can find it. 2020 has been a mess but there can still be joy in the mess and I'm going to try to find what I can throughout this last month of 2020.

No comments:

Post a Comment