Friday, November 13, 2020

Five on Friday

It's Friday - the 13th! Eek! Just kidding... I mean, it's definitely Friday but not so much on the "eek" part as I'm not too worried about that. I've been in the U.K. just over a week and this is the second edition posted from across the pond! I suppose when all is said and done, I'll have three editions from the U.K. So - onward!

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1ikmT6n48SCCo7ZM_u9wKYs5e9PHKDz2p

One. Cherry Bakewell - Do y'all watch the Great British Baking Show? I'm a huge fan and so many bakers in the tent make bakes inspired by the Cherry Bakewell tart! I love cherry and as we were wandering the aisles of Waitrose earlier this week, I saw that you could get a four-pack of Cherry Bakewell(s) for just a couple pounds....

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1pfM1bLkoSi3dKeII8wk5WDmHBy-DQZhO

I couldn't resist the opportunity to try one - so I popped a box into the cart and managed to wait a full 24 hours before busting into them! Oh my goodness! I understand why the bakers on GBB are always using this little treat as an inspiration! It was creamy and just a little bit tart with a perfect cherry flavor! I may need to get a box to take home with me... hehehe!

Two. Marks & Spencer Jumper - Okay... y'all please excuse the terrible quality of this picture but isn't this the cutest jumper (sweater) you've ever seen? I spotted this top in the window at Marks & Spencer as we were on a walk and when I saw the price (only 15 pounds) I definitely fell in love.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1JYfhY2IXE2NLtjFjRG6RTpNMPWxr1M3s 

I've considered doing Click & Collect to get one for myself - due to the lockdown in place, you can only buy essential items and sadly, a glorious jumper dotted with stars is not considered essential. Earlier in the week it was in the news that a man was prohibited from buying his son some underwear at Marks & Spencer because it wasn't "essential"... so something tells me a grown woman trying to buy a jumper would also be frowned upon! 

Three. Tea in the Garden - One of the lovely features that my little sister's home has is a glorious little patch of garden out back and I've been trying to make the most of the unusually sunny days to enjoy time outdoors! I swear I have been blown away by the weather here so far - it's rained twice but both times have been in the evening - never during the day! 

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=10QwzaaP02uVIpuPW9825agWgYs_uh9JD

Of course - I've extolled the virtues of the glorious weather and now it's raining... and it's supposed to rain all weekend. That's seem like proper English weather, to be sure. I've sat out in the garden on more than one afternoon and had some tea (in place of my usual cup of coffee) - it's a great little spot to enjoy!

Four. All the Door Knockers - I may have mentioned that we are essentially in quarantine right now and so the only time we can actually leave the house is for exercise... which means walking around the neighborhood. All the houses are unique and perfectly English - right down to the door knockers!

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=16a8Wd6IVRUg-uoblHY7KYbFw4k2TBLMs

I've been keeping my eyes out every time we leave the house - not just to find door knockers but also to find quirky architectural features (there are so many) and unique spots along the streets! I've got quite the collection of unique door knockers going and I think my favorite of those pictured has to be the fish or the dragonfly! Who knows what other sights I'll see over the next week and some days? 

Five. Waitrose Bag(s) - This last point... well maybe you'll think me a little bit nutty but I am in love with the Waitrose shopping bags! The store; of course, has the sturdy plastic reusable bags but they also have these really sturdy and honestly just adorable bags with fun food pairings on them - I couldn't resist grabbing one for myself! 

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1JfELxmVe64CI40lQ75y-wRj3ee0S-rM1

Excuse the clutter behind the bag - but seriously, how cute is that? Apparently some earlier versions of the bag had pairings like: Bacon & Eggs, Ice Cream & Sprinkles, Chocolate & Chili and one that my little sister has that says Pancakes & Blueberries! Of course - you can also get one that just says Waitrose & Partners - but honestly, how fun are these?

****************************************************

That's all I've got for the Friday! I can't believe I've already been in the U.K. for over a week (barely I suppose) - it's been pretty delightful so far and even though we can't actually go too many places, I am still finding plenty of joy in the little things: the English countryside and all it's parks/green spaces, the treats and treasures that can be found in the shopping centers and time with my Mom and sister!

No comments:

Post a Comment