Tuesday, September 3, 2019

I Do Love Long Weekends

Another Tuesday post - although this one is because I spent a large amount of yesterday doing a whole lot of nothing. Isn't that how you're meant to celebrate Labor Day? By not laboring away at anything? Well - I did a fairly good job accomplishing that yesterday and therefore - the long weekend was well enjoyed and the weekend recap is being done on a Tuesday.

Friday night I oh so kindly drove my parents to the airport - we all got dinner together before I dropped them off - we ate at Blue Ridge Grill and the food was so divine. The place itself is very unassuming but don't be fooled because the food (and the service) was fabulous. I started with the red beans and rice... and I almost wished I'd have just gotten that because it was so flavorful! My Mom and I split the King Street Creole Pasta that was filled with chicken, andouille sausage and penne pasta with a cream sauce. Yum! The special dessert was Strawberry Shortcake and so we tried some of that as well - delicious - just like everything we ate.


The drive home was uneventful but there were cops out everywhere - which makes me nervous. Sheesh! I slept in on Saturday and after coffee, I whipped up a sandwich for myself, loaded the pup up into the car and met my friend Katie and her son at the Virginia State Arboretum to pass the morning. The weather was nice - in the low 80's - thank goodness for the breeze; it wasn't hot but without the breeze it might not have been as nice. 

Image may contain: one or more people, tree, plant, shoes, outdoor and nature Image may contain: plant, grass, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: plant, flower, tree, outdoor and nature Image may contain: 2 people, flower, plant, nature and outdoor

We wandered all over the place for almost an hour and fifteen minutes - watching Katie chase her toddler makes me exhausted; I told her I'd have to hire someone to chase my kid, if I ever have one. Around noon we made our way to a pavilion overlooking the meadows and had a delicious meal of sandwiches, pasta salad, chips and blondies while the breeze made the temperature pretty perfect. Watson discovered he's a big fan of pasta salad (not shocking) and after lunch we made an additional loop before parting ways.

Image may contain: grass, sky, tree, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: food Image may contain: dog

A part of me wanted to take a nap on Saturday afternoon - but then I got home and ended doing laundry, doing a little dusting and by the time I'd done those things, the urge to take a nap had passed... so I went outside and sat on the deck and read. I whipped up some Chicken Corn Chowder for dinner, took a bubble bath and watched the movie A Simple Favor on Amazon Prime - it was pretty entertaining... if a little... different.

Image may contain: 3 people, including Natalie Summerlin, people smiling, child, tree, outdoor and closeup

Sunday morning dawned so overcast - I woke up at 7:00 and thought it was still evening. No matter though, I had coffee and got myself put together because my friend Danielle arrived and we made our way to Great Meadows for the VA Scottish Games. This is the third time I've been and every year I see something new or learn something about my ancestors (who were Scottish)... I learned this year that the clan I hail from - the Somervilles (there have been spelling changes through the ages) were similar to the people of Rohan from Lord of the Rings - which - that's cool!

Image may contain: one or more people, sky, cloud, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: one or more people, sky and outdoor Image may contain: one or more people, mountain, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: 1 person, on stage

Another new thing I saw? The sport of the Caber Toss - where men attempt to flip a giant tree limb end over end as sport. Scottish people are always going above and beyond when it comes to inventing sports and this one was no different - I was sure someone was going to get crushed or collapse under the weight of the whole tree they were picking up... but no. I had the very un-Scottish meal of a corn dog and french fries for lunch while watching the Clan Parade and we rounded out the afternoon with a herding demonstration and ice cream. 

Once I was home, I spent a lot of time on the deck because the weather was really lovely on Sunday evening. Watson and I had dinner out on the deck and I ended up sitting outside for over an hour just reading and poking around on my phone - my goofy dog decided he'd rather sit inside, so I let him in - but I stayed outside enjoying the gorgeous weather. I started the second season of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel too... although it didn't immediately pull me in like the first season...



Monday morning after sleeping in and really enjoying my coffee, I put on my exercise clothes and got in a two mile walk with the pup before it got too hot. Watson was living his best life and once we got home, I also did thirty minutes on the elliptical just for good measure! As much as I wanted to have lunch outside, it really started to warm up around noon and so we sat indoors to eat our sandwich and chips...

I passed the afternoon watching the Nationals game (it was rough), taking a short nap, reading out on the deck and walking around the neighborhood with Watson. I managed to get the furniture covered in the nick of time - it started to pour shortly before 5:00 without much warning but a sudden rumble of thunder. I had leftover chowder for dinner, took a nice bath, chatted with my family on the phone and did my nails before crawling into bed - since even long weekends must come to an end!

No comments:

Post a Comment