Tuesday, March 4, 2014

And the Oscar Goes To....

Y'all - I do love the Oscars. I suppose I do love the Oscars because I absolutely love movies. If a movie is truly good, it will transport the watcher to another place; for just a few hours a person can escape their day-to-day life and be caught up in fantasy, mystery, scandal, drama...maybe even a little horror (although not me). I am definitely a fan of all things movie - including the pomp and pageantry that goes with the Oscars, so of course, I know y'all want to know what I thought of last night's 86th Oscar outing. And I will surely tell you!

First & foremost - my favorite dresses...because that is what really matters, right? The dresses!

I mean - could she look anymore elegant? Nope - loved it! Always love Sandy.

I love JLaw too - she is so goofy but still manages to look so classy. Love it!

Also classic? Julia! I've seen people really dog on this dress but I think she looked stunning!
So, those are the three people that I loved the most. I suppose if I had to pick a favorite from the three of them though...it would be Sandy! I just love the classic, old Hollywood glamour that all three of the above dresses have. They are so stunning without being overbearing; the little details like the ruching on Sandra's gown, the little flounces on Jennifer's dress and the lace details on Julia's - all beautiful and elegant. Love it.

I have to admit - out of the big six that won, I haven't seen a single one of the films that earned them their nomination. To refresh your mind, the big six winners were:

Best Picture - 12 Years A Slave
Best Director - Alfonso Cuaron for Gravity
Best Actor - Matthew McConaughey for Dallas Buyers Club
Best Actress - Cate Blanchett for Blue Jasmine
Best Supporting Actor - Jared Leto for Dallas Buyers Club
Best Supporting Actress - Lupita Nyong'o for 12 Years A Slave

Clearly, I have some movies to watch! 12 Years A Slave came out for all of five days in the little Mississippi town where I live and I just couldn't get to the theatre in those five days to see it...which really disappointed me. I'm waiting for it to come out at Redbox so I can finally see it - I've heard only excellent things about it. I had gotten the idea in my head to see both 12 Years A Slave and August: Osage County in one afternoon but ultimately decided that I just couldn't spend close to five+ hours in the theatre in one day. I should have stuck with that plan...but I didn't and so now I wait on Redbox!

Gravity never struck me as something I wanted to see. While I love Sandra Bullock, I really cannot stand George Clooney and beyond that fact, Gravity just looks like it would make me a nervous wreck. The endlessness of space seems stressful enough as it is, but being tossed about in the midst of endless nothing - I think I'd just be a nervous wreck watching this one - but I suppose I need to check it out and see what all the fuss is about, I hear Sandy kills it...so I'm sure that is worth seeing.

I know very little about Dallas Buyers Club but I am very interested in seeing it, while on the flip side I know very little about Blue Jasmine and really have no interest in seeing it at all. I'd also like to see The Wolf of Wall Street,; even though I've heard it's absolutely atrocious and it clocks in at three hours long, I would like to see what all the fuss is about. Last but not least, I really want to see American Hustle! I love Jennifer Lawrence, Amy Adams, Bradley Cooper and Christian Bale...so I'm sure with those four in the cast it has to be fairly riveting. 

Ellen Degeneres takes the stage to host the show at the start of the 86th Academy Awards in Hollywood, California March 2, 2014. REUTERS/Lucy Nicholson (UNITED STATES - Tags: ENTERTAINMENT) (OSCARS-SHOW)
Ellen as host - I thought she was excellent, she cracked me up!

Oscar Selfie Crashes Twitter
She crashed Twitter...so that's fun...
I loved Ellen as the host - she was hilarious and very light-hearted. It seems like a lot of people are saying she went "mean" at the start of the show but I don't know, I've heard people be much more cruel than she dared to be. She took selfies, dressed up as Glinda the Good Witch and even brought pizza for everyone...although I can't imagine eating pizza in the dresses they had on! I guess I'm silly like that, thinking that eating greasy pizza in a dress that probably cost more than my yearly salary is a bad move. What do I know, right? I guess if you can afford to be wearing a dress that cost that much money, then you don't mind paying the dry cleaner's bill for it too, huh? 

Pizza for everyone! What I want to know is if this was for real or staged?
I loved...

-how endearing all the acceptance speeches were! Lupita, Jared and Matthew all had really sweet speeches! Jared and Matthew thanked their mothers, Matthew was almost in tears talking about his family and everything about Lupita's speech was touching and emotional. 

-Idina Menzel singing Let it Go from Frozen, even though people seem to be giving her a lot of flack for her performance. I thought she did just fine, thank you very much and I'm quite certain all of the people I've seen giving her a critique couldn't get on that Oscar stage & do more than squeak. So there.

-Pink also really blew me away singing Somewhere Over the Rainbow. proof that even though she is normally singing crazy, often tacky lyrics...she really can sing beautifully!

-I thoroughly enjoyed how excited Steve McQueen was when 12 Years A Slave won Best Picture. I always like to see unbridled excitement for things like that as opposed to people accepting awards like they knew all along that they should get it. Seriously, he jumped up and down...and that was fun!

Everybody is so excited...

He's so excited...and he just can't hide it...

I Did Not Love...

-How utterly John Travolta butchered Idina Menzel's name. I mean; who the heck is Adele Dazeem? Certainly not the person that got up on stage and belted out the theme from Frozen. Epic fail for sure Joh, epic fail.

-the woman that randomly burst into singing His Eye is on the Sparrow. Apparently some people thought it was just delightful but honestly, I thought it was just too much. I mean - get ahold of yourself lady. She could sing, no doubt...but still, maybe not.

-That it went over by thirty minutes, because some folks need to be getting some sleep! We don't all get to party the night away like the celebs...but man oh man, if only we could....

-Some of the montages seemed kind of strange for the Oscars. I am the first person to announce my deep and abiding love for all things Marvel, Superman and fantastical...but the superheroes montage about halfway through the show just seemed kind of...off. I don't know, all the montages just seemed like they were time wasters. Let's get back to the actual awards!

-Also, poor Leo did not get an Oscar...again. He has been denied and denied each year. One day he will win and there will be much rejoicing. Until then, this is pretty funny.

Poor Leo...which was actually a trending topic of Twitter....
So - another year of pageantry and pomp has come and gone. There really weren't too many surprises when it came time for all the awards to be announced; no one winner was really a shock. I do wish Leo Dicaprio could catch a break and finally win an award - that man has been overlooked more times than seems fair. Oh well, there's always next year...right Leo? I also think that The Hobbit: the Desolation of Smaug should have won that special effects award...because have you seen that dragon? I have and I find it more fascinating than tumbling around in endless space. But hey, what do I know...I still haven't seen Gravity, maybe I should judge after seeing it?

Also - this is still my favorite thing. Because...duh, obviously. Here's to next year and all the excellent movies that will be made between now and then. I don't know about you, but I'm ready to go to the theatre again!


1 comment:

  1. thanks for this - i've seen more comments about the oscars than anything in a long time and i needed a good cliff notes version :) love you!

    ReplyDelete