Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Recent Reads

The reading of all the books continues - and so I wanted to pop back in and share some of the books I've read in the last couple months! I've read twenty-seven of the thirty-two book goal I set for myself for 2023 and according to my Good Reads app - I'm ten books ahead of schedule! 

I did have a bit of a reading lull in June but I got right back at it this month and I may actually end up catching up on my Book of the Month list before July ends! That will be quite the feat since I haven't managed to accomplish that since I registered for Book of the Month almost 2.5 years ago! Anyhow - onward to some of the books I've read recently! 

The Attic Child by Lola Jaye - This book was a 400+ page read lent to my by my friend Danielle with the caveat that it started slow but to stay with it! She was absolutely right, because while the book took a little while to get into - the payoff was well worth it and it was an excellent read! 

"In a heartbreaking tale of privilege, racism and identity, two abused children, banished to an attic of the same house nearly a hundred years apart, find the strength to regain their stolen identities and repair their battered souls."

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes by Suzanne Collins - This is the prequel to The Hunger Games series and I cannot believe that it was released in 2020 and has just been around that long! I confess I saw the first trailer for the theatrical version and was intrigued, so I ordered the book and read it in about a week! It's classic Panem and I really enjoyed the book; it wasn't quite The Hunger Games, but close and I look forward to seeing the film. 

"The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes focuses on Coriolanus Snow, who fans first meet as President Snow, during Panem's Tenth Hunger Games, about sixty-four years prior to The Hunger Games. It follows Coriolanus as he prepares to mentor District 12's female tribute, Lucy Gray Baird."

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

The Wishing Game by Meg Shaffer - This was my Book of the Month for June and was kind of a random choice, but I am so glad I chose it! This book was unique and different, with a heart-warming tale, the perfect amount of adventure and was just all around an excellent (and quick) read! I absolutely recommend it - you won't be disappointed by the quirky and uplifting story!

"Years ago, a reclusive mega-bestselling children's author quit writing under mysterious circumstances. Suddenly he resurfaces with a brand-new book and a one-of-a-kind competition, offering a prize that will change the winner's life in this absorbing and whimsical novel."

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

The Collected Regrets of Clover by Mikki Brammer - This was my May Book of the Month choice and was another somewhat out there option that I'm glad I chose! This book was yet another story that I thought had a very unique tale to spin and I really enjoyed reading it! It wasn't quite what I expected and took a little bit to get into, but then quickly became engrossing! 

"A big-hearted and life-affirming debut about a death doula who, in caring for others at the end of their life, has forgotten how to live her own. This weird, lovely and sweetly satisfying novel is engaging and accessible; Clover's emergence from a shuttered life is moving enough to elicit tears and Brammer's take on death and grieving is profound enough to feel genuinely instructional."

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

The Last Word by Taylor Adams - Last but definitely not least, this was also my friend Danielle's book and she said she read in in just days! I started it and could immediately see why, the twists and turns just kept coming from the start of the book until the very end! This thriller was great, suspenseful and chilling!

"After posting a negative review of a horror novel, a woman staying at an isolated beach house begins to wonder if the author is a little touchy - or very, very dangerous - in this pulse-pounding novel of psychological suspense and terror."

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

I still have so many books still to be read! The list keeps going on and on, ha-ha! Just a few of the books still to be read are listed below!

  • Revenge: Meghan, Harry & the War Between the Windsors by Tom Bower
  • The Boys in the Boat: Nine Americans & their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Olympics by Daniel James Brown
  • Go Tell the Bees that I am Gone by Diana Gabaldon 
  • Battlefield of the Mind by Joyce Meyer 
  • The Good Left Undone by Adriana Trigiani
I have plenty on my plate to read, the ones I listed above are just a few of the eight or nine that I have sitting and waiting to be read - so I'm sure I'll be posting these updates for a while to come! Anyone have any good recommendations?

No comments:

Post a Comment