Thursday, April 27, 2023

Recent Reads

I haven't posted about books in a long while - and I have been reading like a fiend! I am on my twentieth book for the year and that puts me somewhere like... 8 books ahead of schedule for my goal of thirty-five books read in 2023! I last posted about books in January and I've done quite a bit of reading since then, so I thought I'd share some of my favorites! 

The Wedding Dress Sewing Circle by Jennifer Ryan - I'll confess I started this book way back in November of last year and I think I even took it on my honeymoon to have to read on the beach... but I never could get into it! Fast forward a few months and I absolutely loved this book! 

In the Wedding Dress Sewing Circle, women come together during WWII to mend, repurpose and recycle clothing. Led by three spirited women, the sewing circle project to repair a wedding gown grows into mending wedding gowns for local brides and brides across the county. The spirited women also mend relationships and find new love.

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Weyward by Emilia Hart - I must say, this has been my favorite read of the year so far! The book is a quick read, the story sucked me in and I read it in about forty-eight hours! I loved everything about the book and cannot recommend it enough!

In 2019, twenty-nine-year-old Kate Ayres flees London to escape an abusive relationship and find sanctuary in Weyward Cottage, in Crows Beck, Cumbria - a property left for her by her late Aunt Violet. As she embarks on rebuilding her life, her curiosity about the property prompts her to research her family history.

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Someone Else's Shoes by JoJo Moyes - This was my March Book of the Month pick solely because two of my very favorite books (Me After You and The Giver of the Stars) were also written by JoJo Moyes. I love her writing style and this book was no exception - it was another excellent read!

Nisha Cantor lives the globetrotting life of the seriously wealthy, until her husband announces he wants a divorce and cuts her off. Nisha is determined to hang on to her glamourous life. But in the meantime, she must scramble to cope - and she doesn't even have the shoes she was; until a moment ago, standing in.

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Daisy Jones & the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid - I know I am behind the times on this one! I was really certain I was not going to like this book because of the style in which it was written (like an interview). However, I wanted to read the book before starting the show and once I started it, I couldn't put it down!

Daisy Jones & the Six follows a rock band in the 1970's from their rise in the LA music scene to becoming one of the most famous bands in the world and explores the reason behind their split at the height of their success.

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

***********************************************

As you can see - this is mostly a list of the books I've really enjoyed in the last few months! I have liked most of the books I've read so far this year and I'm sure there will be more five star options before the year is done!

And in case anyone was interested - all the books I've read so far are below, including the book I just started yesterday (it's listed last).

  • Bringing Down the Duke by Evie Dunmore
  • Lady in Waiting by Anne Glenconner 
  • The London Séance Society by Sarah Penner
  • What Lies in the Woods by Kate Alice Marshall
  • The Wedding Dress Sewing Circle by Jennifer Ryan
  • Daisy Jones & the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid
  • The Night Train to Berlin by Melanie Hudson
  • Saving Aziz by Chad Robichaux
  • A Flicker in the Dark by Stacy Willingham
  • The Widow Wore Pink by Robyn Dykstra
  • Send for Me by Lauren Fox
  • All My Knotted Up Life by Beth Moore
  • Weyward by Emilia Hart
  • Good Boundaries & Goodbyes by Lysa TerKeurst
  • Georgie, All Along by Kate Clayborn
  • The Circus Train by Amita Parikh
  • The Last Russian Doll by Kristen Leosch
  • Someone Else's Shoes by Jojo Moyes
  • The Night Swim by Megan Goldin
  • The Attic Child by Lola Jaye
Anyone have any good read recommendations? And if you'd like to follow me on Good Reads, look me up! 

No comments:

Post a Comment