Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Cake Creations

I made a cake this weekend for my Mom's birthday - it was definitely a stumbled upon recipe that I found on Facebook; one of those Taste Made recipe videos - I wasn't sure what would happen when I made it but I thought I might as well give it a whirl.

The cake seemed somewhat fool proof - it's called a Brownie Cookie Cake - and that's just exactly what makes up the layers of the cake. I assumed that as long as I didn't blacken the cookies and burn the brownies, everything would be fine! And that was mostly true...ha-ha!


I did struggle a bit with the cookie layers - I tried to first bake them in 9 inch round pans and that didn't really sort out so well. So I made the other cookie layer on a flat pan and shaped in to align with the 9 inch cake rounds...and all was smooth sailing from there!

What You Need
  • 1 package peanut butter cookie mix
  • 1 package chocolate chip cookie mix
  • 1 package brownie mix (or double up & do 2 brownie layers; I did)
  • 4 containers of Cream Cheese frosting
  • 12 Oreos; crushed
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 2 cups dark chocolate chips

What You'll Do
  • Bake the cookie layers and brownie layer according to package directions; be sure to let cool completely before removing from pan/baking tray.
  • Combine two containers of cream cheese frosting with 12 finely crushed oreos, spread this frosting mixture between each layer of your cake.
  • Use an additional container of cream cheese frosting to create a "crumb coat" on your cake; place the cake in the fridge for approximately thirty minutes and allow this coat to set.
  • Use the final container of cream cheese frosting to complete the final layer of frosting on the cake. Smooth the sides and edges of the frosted cake and place back in the fridge and allow to set for one hour.
  • Create the chocolate ganache by warming one cup of heavy whipping cream in the microwave for 60 seconds. Pour the warm cream over the dark chocolate and allow to sit for 2-3 minutes to melt the chips; blend together to form a dark chocolate ganache.
  • Remove the cake from the fridge and generously pour the chocolate ganache over the cake, allowing the ganache to drip and drizzle down the sides of the cake.
  • Best served with a side of cold milk...and perhaps serve small pieces so as not to induce a diabetic coma.
  • The cake will keep for up to five days if kept covered.

This cake is very easy to make - however it does require a bit of time! I passed the time while making my cake layers by doing Christmas cards, watching Elf and episodes of The Crown! Once the layers are done, putting the cake together, frosting the cake and topping it with the ganache is all quite easy!


The cake got rave reviews from our family friends that came over to celebrate - but I will advise that you cut small pieces! The cake is extremely rich; I joked it could likely cause a diabetic coma with just one bite. The cake is so very yummy though...and how could it not be when it's made up of cookies, brownies, cream cheese frosting and dark chocolate!

If you decide to give this decadent dessert a try - let me know how it turns out for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment