Thursday, May 7, 2015

Friday with a Friend - The Lisa Lott Edition

Here we go again - another Friday with a Friend post! This time I've decided to grill (ha-ha...not really) my friend Lisa. I met Lisa while I was attending college at the University of Southern Mississippi (Go Eagles! SMTTT!). We met through a friend and immediately hit it off!

Lisa has a wonderfully quirky and endearing personality and is one of the most fun people I think I've ever been around. She is an encourager and finds the best in everyone; something I'm not very good at, but she completely excels at! She married her sweet hubby Ben almost two years ago in Picayune - that's a small town in Mississippi - in case you wondered; I roped one of my friends into making the drive and we had an absolute blast. Even though we now lives hundreds of miles away, we keep in touch and discuss really important topics (boy bands, the Royal baby, etc...) on an almost daily basis.

You can check out her blog, Grits & Griddles. You'll love it, just like you'll no doubt love her!

Ha!

Okay, if this was a real interview like on TV,(This IS a real interview!)... I’d need a theme song. What should it be?

Uptown Funk. It's hard to NOT smile {and dance} when you hear that song!

In the last five years, what was your lowest low and how did you rise above it?

Last year was tough, but there were so many blessings in the process. One of those "gold tried by fire" times that made me so very thankful in the end! Long story short, I was in a not-so-good place in terms of my job. I was assigned to some very uncomfortable projects, working long hours, and feeling downright awful, all of the time. I couldn't remember the last time I had laughed or even felt happy. At the same time, both of my grandparents (back home) were having some serious health issues, and I was a wreck worrying about them. I had some health issues of my own that caused additional anxiety as well.

I was constantly worn out, and couldn't sleep at night, afraid of what each new day would bring. That's no way to live! I knew I needed to pray, but somehow couldn't find the words. Everyday, multiple times, I would just bow my head, say "Lord, this is in your hands. Just lead me, because I'm clueless."

Eloquent, aren't I?

But you know what? I didn't come to Him with beautiful words, scriptures memorized, or a confident attitude, but He heard me anyway. That's when I started to truly learn that God is merciful, and accepts us just as we are.

Eventually - on God's time, not mine (thankfully) - He brought me out of the "yuck." Someone I'd emailed the year before - A WHOLE YEAR! - about a job opportunity remembered our conversation and contacted me about a recent opening with their company. After two strokes and a cancer diagnosis, my grandparents got better, miraculously. I began my new job the same week that we found a physical therapist for my medical issues.

It's only through God that things worked the way they did! Prayer helped like nothing else could. I found writing to be incredibly therapeutic, as well as cooking and exercising, so I dove right into those as often as I could muster the energy. 

Believe it or not, that's the short version of this story!
 And your highest high?

 In the last five years? Getting married was a pretty cool thing. ;)

Looks pretty cool to me...

 Every good movie moment has a song playing in the background. What was the soundtrack for that moment – the highest high?

 "Don't Stop Believin'" by Journey! Hands down. We would have played it all day and night if we could have. Instead we had it as our recessional and the last song of the reception.

What's the hardest part of raising kids?

I can't say for sure, seeing as I have none - but I'd like to think it's this: Teenagers. They scare me.

What's the best part of raising kids?

Again, not sure. But I'm looking forward to dressing them up in ridiculous outfits and taking embarrassing pictures for later.

What quote do you hang on to right now?

There are so many. There are a few scriptures that I hold dear to my heart, most of them I have to constantly look up because I'm not great at memorizing! One thing I hope I'll always remember is something that one of my former roommates said in college: "I don't really know what's gonna happen, but I just figure God's got this." And He does! We just have to let Him take the reigns.
Okay, tell me about these things and their role in your life and survival through the hard stuff: Creativity, friendship, books and music.
Creativity
...is an outlet and a way to let loose. Never let it run dry. 

Friendship
...is essential. Hugs and girl talk are some of the best therapy around.

Fried dill pickles + friends + beach = amazing!

Books and music
...help turn your mind off when nothing else will.

Compare these two things: Your view of yourself ten years ago and your view of yourself now.

This is a tough one!

Ten years ago I was afraid of change and afraid of the world. I felt confused because I was about to begin college with no clue as to where to what I wanted to be when I grew up. I had a ton of energy, could go for days on two hours' sleep, and ate a ton of chocolate. I loved to write more than anything.

Nowadays I still have moments where I'm afraid of change, but daily learning that God can handle it WAYYYYY better than I can. I still have no idea what I want to be when I grow up. I still have energy when properly caffeinated, but would love to be in bed by 9pm. I love sleep more than I ever thought I would and think Kindergartners have it made with a midday naptime. Today I need MUCH more than two hours of sleep, and I still love chocolate - just not in the vast quantities I used to do. I still love to write more than anything.

Random, but fun. Finish the following. I hate when...
People do not use their blinkers! Use them, drivers! Pretty please :)

And, I love when...
People laugh.

Three of your favorite women…
My grandmother, mom, and sister. Cliche, right? Don't judge me :)


If you had to get a tattoo right now, what would it be?
It'd be one of those fun painted tattoos with GLITTER (oh, the glitter!!!) that they give you at fairs and such. I would probably pass out if I saw a real live needle coming at me.


Let’s end this with a very important question. What songs are on your playlist right now?
Which one?! Ha! I have Kari Jobe in my car, but I'm almost always listening to country and classic rock. Miranda Lambert, James Taylor, Journey, there are so, so many.


And of course, Uptown Funk. And Meghan Trainor. I love to dance, though ridiculous I may look!

Lisa & her hubs - aren't they the cutest?

No comments:

Post a Comment