Tuesday, January 3, 2023

The First Weekend of a New Year!

Happy New Year ya'll! Can you believe we are in January once again? I will say, the end of 2022 disappeared with a whisper for me (I was asleep) and 2023 started just as quietly as 2022 ended. I woke up on Sunday and we were in a New Year - what a gift! 

The hubby and I headed out on Friday afternoon to make the drive to Asheville, North Carolina to meet up with my in-laws for the weekend and have Christmas! Happily the traffic on the way down wasn't too bad and Watson did fairly well on the drive down - even though the travel carrier I bought him was a waste of money. *sigh* We stayed at a lovely VRBO in Asheville for the weekend - pet friendly and very cute! 



We did our Christmas celebrations on Saturday and after opening gifts, Ryan and I wandered all over the VRBO following clues to find our final gift - a water canning pot and mason jars! I guess we better get to working on that garden to grow things, so we can then harvest and learn to can our own food(s)! We also popped into Asheville on Saturday afternoon to attempt the Breakout Asheville - Mystery Mansion room - but we didn't quite make it! The room was incredibly detailed and fascinating and we were so very close to figuring it out... but alas!


Please witness the size different in the pups hanging out in our cabin this last weekend - 10 pounds versus 100 pounds, ha-ha! 

Sunday was lovely - the whole weekend was unseasonably warm - and so after a pretty laid back morning, we headed to the Hard Times Trailhead to do a little outdoor activity. I wasn't really prepared for hiking but thankfully my Hey Dude shoes held up to the slightly mucky terrain that we hiked through! Watson did surprisingly well with the hike, although he was also good and worn out for the rest of the day - bless his little heart!





After our hike, we made our way to a portion of Asheville that is a part of the River Arts District and popped into a coffee shop called Odds Café - and while I can't speak too highly for their coffee (it was more like cream with very little coffee) - it was right near Biscuit Head, and I couldn't resist snapping pictures of the funky cat mural on the side of the building. You may wonder why a biscuit shop has cats on the side - but in the South, big ol biscuits are called "cat head biscuits".



Please note - my fluffy bearded husband was not a fan of his latte - if that face didn't tell you, ha-ha!




We returned to the VRBO and Ryan started stoking up a lovely fire in the fire pit outside! It was really relaxing to sit by the fireside and feel the warmth of the fire and cool of the night air and take it all in. The great outdoors, the cozy coffee, my husband tending the fire pit - it was a nice way to start a new year! We had a delicious dinner and then the ladies skunked the men in All of Us; and then we introduced the in-laws to The Chosen on Netflix before calling it a night!



We packed it in on Monday morning, made stops at American Sportsman, Trader Joe's and Bojangles (I'd never eaten at one) before heading out of Ashville and making our way home! Blessedly the traffic wasn't too bad and once we got home, the hubby picked up some pizza while I started laundry and got the house ready for another week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment