Thursday, May 20, 2021

Moving & Shaking in Mississippi

It's been a hot minute (literally - it's already pretty warm here in Virginia for mid-May) since I posted something longer than a sentence about Watson, but I'm back now! I'm trying to recap the last week and the absolute whirlwind that it was... it feels like it passed so fast! It was wonderful but man - it was fast! 

My Ryan (hehehe) and my Dad picked me up from work last Wednesday at 3:00 and from there, we all piled into the car and headed toward East Tennessee. We stopped along the way for a picnic dinner and spent the evening in East Tennessee before heading on our way again Thursday morning with the aim to be in Mississippi by later afternoon. We stopped in Birmingham for a late lunch at Hattie B's Hot Chicken and while it was great - the macaroni and cheese was supposed to be Pimento Cheese style - and I didn't get that at all. *sigh* 

Thursday evening after checking in to our Bed & Breakfast (I'll share more on that delightful spot tomorrow) we headed to downtown Meridian to have dinner at Harvest Grill. The food was delicious and the company (my Ryan and my Mom) was also just the best... I am discovering that as much as my boyfriend likes to mess with me, he also really loves messing with my Mom. 

Friday was a pretty full day - but thank goodness we were able to sleep a little later because I was feeling all kinds of tired and had been looking forward to sleeping later than 6 AM or so - and was thrilled for that to happen on Friday! Our B&B served wonderful breakfasts each morning and after having coffee, fresh fruit, blueberry bread, bacon, eggs and hash browns... it was out the door to tour the airplane my younger sister flies and see all the knobs and buttons it has! 

 

We also popped into a little shopping area I love called The Atrium - they have booths filled with trinkets, clothes and crafts and you never know what kind of wonderful gems you are going to find. I found three tops and a pair of sandals and honestly - if we'd have had more time, I'd probably have found even more. It's dangerous - I'm telling y'all.

We had lunch at Weidmann's in Meridian - the oldest restaurant in Mississippi - and I ordered a vegetable plate that included macaroni & cheese. My Yankee boyfriend was all too quick to tell me that macaroni & cheese was NOT a vegetable but I had to tell the sweet man that in the South, it most certainly is! I also got a slice of Peanut Butter Pie and it was to die for... I'm drooling just remembering how wonderful it was.... sorry, I blacked out a little bit dreaming about it. I'm back. *laughs*

We also introduced Ryan to all things Mississippi State at the store in downtown - including a rude woman working at the store - I'd have preferred to not meet her. *eye roll* He purchased himself an MSU hat and wore it for the rest of the weekend with pride; you gotta love that (unless you're not a fan of MSU - which, how?)... We were also able to see the Clydesdale as part of a parade in downtown on Friday night before scooting off to my cousin's rehearsal dinner.

Saturday morning was another more relaxed morning and after breakfast, it was off to the Threefoot Arts Festival in downtown Meridian. The sun was blazing and y'all - as much as Ryan wanted to make fun - it was already HOT in Mississippi and the humidity was also raging. I thoroughly enjoyed wandering around and perusing all the booths... there was plenty that I would have loved to buy but I kept my purchases to one lovely painted shell to use on my dresser at home and contented myself with just looking.

 

 

Ryan loves all things cars - and I know nothing about cars, ha-ha! He happily took me all around the antique cars on display and told me what was special about them and why he loved them so much. In return, I had him take pictures of me in front of murals - as you do. We also popped over to my cousin Alex's house to take part in the gender reveal for his baby, due to be born in October - they'll be welcoming a little Summerlin boy and everyone was pretty thrilled.


We had a late lunch on Saturday at Mugshots before returning to the B&B to relax a little bit and then get ready for my cousin Colton's wedding. The whole evening on Saturday was spent with that and I'll share all about those festivities on tomorrow's post. We were up early on Sunday morning to start the drive toward East Tennessee again - don't I look well-rested in the picture below? Ha-ha - don't answer that!


It was a good trip back to Mississippi and it was wonderful to get to introduce my family to Ryan. I also know I certainly don't miss that Mississippi humidity and I think the next time we go back to Mississippi to visit, I'll make sure it's Winter! 

No comments:

Post a Comment