Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Gettysburg Weekend

Well - Monday was kind of wild and so here I am on Tuesday afternoon finally checking in with the blog, ha-ha! I was off work on Friday and headed toward Pennsylvania around 8 AM on Friday morning to meet up with Ryan for the weekend. 


En route to Gettysburg Battlefield we spied an abandoned mini-golf course that had gorgeous blooming trees sprouting up all around the crumbling remains and I couldn't resist pulling Ryan out of the car and across the course to snap a picture or two! The flowers were so gorgeous and because I'm a big ol' goofball, I'd have loved to explore it even more... but there were gigantic "NO TRESPASSING" signs and so we continued on our way!



The weather was excellent all weekend - but it was so windy on Friday that it was almost impossible to get a picture without feeling like your hair was going to get ripped off your head. I mean... Ryan didn't have that problem because his hair is so short... but yikes, it was a nightmare for me! I finally ended up corralling my hair on my head in a messy bun. I didn't want it to be messy - but it was just so windy...




This was my second visit to Gettysburg but the first time I went I was a bit of a moody teenager, so I probably got a little bit more out of it this time, ha-ha! I even went completely out of my comfort zone and let Ryan convince me to climb a 70 foot tall observation tower that I normally wouldn't have gone near... but he took my hand and coaxed me up the stairs. Did I mention the wind was whipping in excess of 40 miles per hour?






The battlefield was so interesting to explore and I would definitely say I enjoyed it so much more now that I'm a bit older! We grabbed coffee at a bakery called Deja Brew in nearby New Oxford - the spot came highly recommended and I can see why; everything was delicious! We closed out our Friday making pizza and watching Without Remorse on Amazon Prime!


Saturday was another gorgeous day without a cloud in the sky - and no wind trying to rip your hair off your head! What a victory! We had breakfast and grabbed lunch at Sheetz to throw in Ryan's backpack before heading out on the Mary Ann Furnace Trail in Hanover! The trail was about 3.5 miles and was cut through the woods and along a large lake; it was absolutely beautiful and we had so much fun just walking, talking and being in nature!




We spent tons of time in the great outdoors on Saturday since it was so nice out - we ended up having our lunch by a stream on the trail, exploring another portion of the land near the lake and exploring aspects of the little town of New Oxford...and eventually had dinner at Olive Garden and watched the movie White House Down - which I had never seen but I actually really enjoyed!





Sunday was yet again a gorgeous day but the weather went from just warm to pretty hot out - yikes! We had breakfast, explored downtown Gettysburg and a park in the Gettysburg area before having a late lunch at the Farnsworth House. Ironically - I ate at the Farnsworth House the first time I visited Gettysburg; it's rumored to be incredibly haunted - so I'm glad we ate outside, ha-ha! 

After our lunch we grabbed some Rita's and wandered just a bit more before heading our separate ways for home and the work week ahead. It was such a great weekend in Gettysburg and I can't wait to keep making memories with Ryan!

1 comment: