Monday, July 8, 2019

*Sigh* The Lost Weekend

So - the weekend as a whole wasn't really "lost" but y'all - I got a stomach virus on Saturday evening and it killed the rest of the weekend. I was 1000% useless and just downright in a tragic place. I suppose that is getting ahead of myself though - isn't it?

We had a late breakfast on Friday morning at The Darcy in downtown DC; it's a historic hotel located in the Embassy Row area of downtown and while my Creme Brulee Brioche French Toast was divine, the service was a little...iffy. All in all it was good though! We popped over to Georgetown and perused a few shops and I picked up some macarons from Olivia Macaron before we headed home for the afternoon. 


After spending most of the afternoon just lazing around, we went to have dinner at one of our nearby favorite restaurants: Paladin! I had the always divine Brunswick Stew and Macaroni & Cheese and I also had a cocktail that was... just alright. Perhaps that's why the name doesn't stand out in my mind - because it didn't make a lasting impression on me? Once we returned home, we sat out on the deck until a summer storm blew in and then we watched the Nationals game - well, until I ended up calling it a night around 9:00 due to a fierce headache. Like I said - the "lost" weekend. *sigh* 

Image may contain: Lindsey Summerlin, smiling, sky, selfie, cloud, closeup and outdoor
Cheese! Sibling snapshot!
Image may contain: dog
My lazy little bud on Friday night!
Saturday morning we headed to West Oaks Farm Market for brunch; this will now be our third weekend in a row visiting the Farm Market and the fourth time in five weeks, I think we've found a spot we love. The brunch was delicious (although at this point, now I'm trying to sort out just what I ate that made me sick...) and we picked up a few things for dinner before heading over to our friend's house for a wine tasting and tour!

Image may contain: Lindsey Summerlin and Natalie Summerlin, people smiling, people standing, outdoor and nature

Some family friends have a vineyard and full on wine cellar/tasting room at their home; the husband is Italian born and bred and knows all there is to know about wine, so a few years ago he set out to grow his own grapes and make his own wine. He treated us to a tasting in their amazing basement cellar with tips, trick and insight into all things wine-related and then walked us around his vineyard explaining all about growing the grapes. It was fascinating and the wine was delicious - they even sent us home with a few bottles!

Image may contain: people sitting, table, drink, indoor and food Image may contain: 1 person, drink and indoor

Image may contain: Lindsey Summerlin, smiling, sitting, drink and indoor Image may contain: drink

Image may contain: plant and outdoor Image may contain: plant, tree, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: Natalie Summerlin, smiling, sitting, drink, phone and indoor

We made a pit stop on the way home at our favorite ice cream spot: Newtown Creamery and enjoyed some tasty Crazy Cow treats! There's nothing quite like ice cream on a warm (HOT!) summer day; I was just glad we had an umbrella to provide just a wee bit of shade while we ate our treats!

Image may contain: flower, plant, tree, outdoor and nature Image may contain: Lindsey Summerlin, smiling, outdoor

Image may contain: Lindsey Summerlin, Ginger Watson Summerlin, Jeffrey G. Summerlin and Natalie Summerlin, people smiling, people sitting, outdoor and closeup

We passed the rest of Saturday afternoon watching the Nationals game, relaxing on the porch and having a delicious dinner... and then around 7:00, I started to feel sick and the weekend crashed downhill from there. 

I spent the rest of Saturday night in between the bathroom floor and my bed *sigh* and spent the majority of Sunday lying on the couch. It wasn't the way I wanted the weekend to wind up and I didn't get to tag along with my family to Tyson's to explore some shops, spend a little more time with my sister and send her off - but honestly, just walking around the house wore me out on Sunday. 

So - the whole weekend wasn't a loss. But honestly, it wasn't a gain! The first weekend in July was not one for the books but here's hoping the rest of the weekends in July will be different! 

No comments:

Post a Comment