Monday, July 22, 2019

Ice Cream & Heat Waves

The past weekend was the hottest of the entire Summer - it was absolutely blazing out, with temperatures hovering around 98 and the heat index elevating that to around 105. Suffice it to say, when the sun was out it was almost painful to be outside and when the sun went down it was only mildly better. *sigh* 

After dinner at the local Mexican restaurant - which is always delicious - we headed back to the house for a bit, with the intentions of watching some Outlander but discovered the power was out. The power actually went out across the entire neighborhood - fuses at the substation were fused together due to overuse because of... the heat! Once the power came back on, we went out to get ice cream...

Image may contain: one or more people Image may contain: one or more people

My pup was thrilled to be invited along and he sat so patiently and waited for some licks of key lime and cheesecake ice cream - just sitting on the bench at the picnic table, waiting. I think he was just thrilled (as always) to be brought along on an adventure. When we got home, I spent the rest of the evening reading on my couch - and my sweet pup borrowed my arm as his arm rest and slept. 


Saturday was a pretty low key day - there just wasn't a lot to be done when it felt like it was 100 degrees outside. After coffee and exercise, we grabbed a late lunch at Mission BBQ and then popped into a couple of shops before heading home so my Dad could binge watch more Outlander... I ended up reading some, watching bits and pieces of episodes and taking the dog on very short walks out in the blazing heat!

Sunday morning arrived with the singing of my alarm and after having some coffee, I got myself together and ready for church. I snapped a picture of my clothes because I was able to slip into a pair of Warp & Weft jeans that are a size smaller - always worth celebrating! I've been fairly consistently exercising since January and while I've had some misses and missteps along the way, for the most part I've been keeping with it - maybe one day I'll post the calendar pictures of my daily tracking?


After church and a so/so lunch at Buffalo Wild Wings, I enjoyed relaxing at the house and discovering a couple dresses that are a size smaller and now fit me - so that was fun! Around 3:15 we headed to West Virginia for our family friend's daughter Amelia's fifth birthday. I tell Amelia all the time that we arrived in Virginia at almost the same time - I moved in June and she was born in July - so we're special Virginia buddies. She is such a mess!

Image may contain: 1 person, standing Image may contain: 1 person, eating, sitting and food

Image may contain: 2 people, including Natalie Summerlin, people smiling

Of course, the birthday girl was the center of attention and too busy to spend too much time with one person but her little Evelyn was far more snuggly than she's been before and so we became best buddies all over again. We ate our hot dogs together and I snuggled her after she played in the pool and I even taught her how to take the patented tongue out picture that I take with her big sister. 

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, eating and food Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting and food

Image may contain: 2 people, including Natalie Summerlin

We sang to the birthday girl - all dressed in her new Belle ball gown and crown from my parents - and shared cupcakes before we snapped our traditional tongues out picture! It was a fun way to spend an afternoon: we were able to catch up with friends and the girls always make me laugh. It wasn't as fun that our friends AC was broken... on the hottest day of the year... but we prevailed and lived to tell the tale.

Image may contain: 1 person, closeup Image may contain: Natalie Summerlin, sitting and indoor

We headed home as a cold front (thank the Lord) was moving through and after some wind and rain, it was blessedly much cooler outside. My Mom and I watched the finale of Big Little Lies second season (only okay - in my opinion) and then I read before calling it a night. A good weekend - no doubt about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment