Monday, June 11, 2018

Making the Best of Things

Well - this weekend recap had the potential to be filled with pictures of nature's grandeur but for multiple reasons, I opted out of going to New York and Ontario for the weekend - and so my weekend was a bit...simpler, if you will. It's not to say I didn't enjoy my weekend but I did feel a sense of regret at having chosen not to go - I've never seen Niagara Falls and now that item will stay on the bucket list just a bit longer, I suppose.

img_5261

I'd had plans to go to a Nationals game on Friday night but they fell through around mid-day last Monday and so I made some new Friday night plans - going to see Oceans 8 with my friends from work. We were lucky to be able to leave work early on Friday, so we spent some time at my house chatting and perused a favorite local store, Lantz's Pharmacy, before heading to the Alamo to catch the movie. After it was over, I headed home and caught up on The Handmaid's Tale before reading until after midnight...

Saturday was a gorgeous day - my dog reveled in the sunshine, I think he spent almost the entire day outside in the backyard and lounging on the porch. I had my coffee and ate some breakfast before walking about 2 miles with Watson...even though we set out on our walk around 10, it warmed up pretty quickly on Saturday and by the time we returned to the house, I might as well have been panting like Watson was!

img_5266  img_5268

After taking a shower and having lunch, I alternated between watching the Nationals game and sitting on the deck reading The Winter Garden. Around 2:00 I made a quick Target run for milk and Cool Whip (essentials, you know...) and also picked up a pair of flip flop/sandals to replace a pair of Sperry flip-flops that I have practically worn out. It was probably the quickest Target run I've made in ages - I left Watson lounging on the deck and I'm pretty sure he never moved in the 45 minutes I was gone!

img_5277  img_5278

My friend Katie came over on Saturday night for dinner - I did BBQ pork and baked beans, she brought a salad and we spent most of the evening chatting on the porch...until a storm blew in and chased us indoors. When the rain shower passed, there were two gorgeous rainbows, the temperature had cooled off and it was incredibly nice outside! Katie left around 8:00 so she could be home in time to kiss her sweet baby goodnight and I decided to start watching the second season of A Series of Unfortunate Events. I'd been fighting a headache all evening and so I finally gave in around 10:30 and just went to bed.


Sunday started out rather dreary and the sun couldn't quite decide if it wanted to show it's face - rain was predicted for Sunday afternoon, but I was hoping the sun would show up for the first part of the day. It never did; the day proceeded to be gloomy right up until the rain started. I went to church and then made the ever important decision between Taco Bell or Burger King for lunch - Taco Bell was the winner - before heading home.

I watched the final episode of the miniseries Patrick Melrose while finishing my lunch and Watson settled himself on the deck couch to nap - he gave me the above look when I came outside to finish up reading my book. Knowing that rain was coming, I covered the furniture and coaxed Watson indoors, where we both took Sunday afternoon naps - mine was rather short, it may have lasted about twenty minutes. When I woke up, it was raining and try as I might to fall back asleep - it just wasn't happening.

img_5286

I'd left the umbrella on the deck open and it allowed me to sit at the table and sip my afternoon coffee while the rain fell - which I thought was absolutely wonderful! Watson did not understand why he couldn't sit outside with me while it rained...hence the look of disgust he is giving me in the above picture.

Once the rain passed, the sun came out and we wandered the neighborhood a few times, I made some dinner and cleaned up around the kitchen... I also took a bubble bath and got myself settled in for Westworld at 9:00 - a really excellent episode, I might add. When it was over, Watson and I made our way downstairs and into bed.

Not a bad weekend by any means but I did find myself, at multiple points throughout the weekend wishing I'd chosen differently. Oh well - such is life I suppose and another week is here once again, which will bring another weekend with choices to make and things to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment