Friday, December 11, 2020

Five on Friday

 

It's the second weekend of December 2020 - there are three weekends left this year - and I plan to enjoy them! I mean; enjoy them as much as one can in the midst of a pandemic that's on the rise. *shrugs* I still think we can enjoy things... just a bit differently.


One. White Chicken Chili - I have been searching for a good white chicken chili recipe for what seems like years! I love chicken (my Mom used to say I'd turn into one) and I love chili... and I know good recipes exist but I couldn't ever find one that had the right heat/spice/taste... until last Saturday! I do believe I found a winner in this recipe and wildly enough - it's a Weight Watchers recipe! 


What You Need
  • 2 cans white meat chicken; drained
  • 2 tsp. cumin
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 tsp. onion powder
  • salt & pepper
  • 1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
  • 14 ounce can Pinto Beans; drained
  • 14 ounce can white beans; drained
  • 16 ounces Salsa Verde (green salsa)
  • 4 cups chicken broth
What You Do
  • Empty all ingredients into a soup pot & mix well. Bring to a boil and then turn down to medium heat. Cook for 25-30 minutes and then serve.
That's right - not only is it so very tasty, but it's crazy easy to make! I know I'll be making this again and again... 

Two. Noonday Collection - A friend and neighbor recently hosted a Noonday Collection party online and I joined in the virtual party and ended up getting - what I suppose - is a Christmas present for myself. *shrugs* Noonday Collection is a lovely company that uses artisans in countries like Uganda, India, Rwanda and so many more. The women who make the jewelry, hand bags and more are often rescued from poverty or sex-trafficking & this work is their way to earn a living for their family. 



The purchases support these artisans and their families and some of the pieces are especially unique: I bought the Bethe Rope Necklace; which is made from artillery shells from former conflicts in Ethiopia; truly taking something negative and turning it into something positive! If you've ever thought about checking them out - you can find them here.

Three. Dog Bandana(s) - These pictures crack me up! My Mom recently returned from the U.K. and she brought my dog two bandanas... one that says "I love the U.K." and another that has the Union Jack on it. I tried one on him immediately and well... I think the pictures say it all. 


He sat sweetly and let me take his picture but I think it's obvious from the second picture that he wasn't too sure about his new accessory.

Four. The Cookie Advent Update - I thought I'd share a look at all the adorable (and delicious) cookies that the Advent calendar has brought over the last week! Opening each little door is always so fun because you never know what you're going to get! I know - that's the whole point! 


The cookies are all so tasty and I am daily in awe of not just the tastiness but how absolutely talented and crafty Cookie Therapy is! These cookies are the best!

Five. Cranberry Bars - True story... the first go round I used what I thought was flour but it was actually powdered sugar. *face palm* They did not look nearly as lovely as what is picture below, but since these are easy to make my Mom assisted (she did most of it) and we whipped up another batch! They are so tasty with the perfect combination of sweet with the cranberries adding some tart and the perfect color pop for Christmas!


What You Need
  • 2 eggs; room temperature
  • 1/2 cup butter; room temperature (salted or unsalted is fine)
  • 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • Zest from one medium orange (optional)
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
  • 2 cups cranberries (fresh or frozen)
What You Do
  • Preheat the oven to 350 & grease a 9x13 pan well!
  • Using a mixer, beat together the granulated sugar, butter and orange zest (if using) until light & fluffy. Add eggs & vanilla & beat until mixed nicely. 
  • Add the dry ingredients & mix until just combined. Fold in the nuts & cranberries.
  • Pour into prepared pan - the dough is sticky so grease your hands & press it down as best you can. If it's not perfect, don't worry. It will still bake together well.
  • Bake for 40-50 minutes until the edges are light brown & the top has spots of light brown. I cooked mine 40 minutes! 
And that's all I've got for this Friday! I'm looking forward to 5 o'clock and the weekend ahead... but I suppose that's no different from any other Friday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment