Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Chicken and Black Bean Bowls

You know if Watson wants some, it's probably delicious! 
I pinned this recipe on my "I Need to Cook This" pin board ages ago...and since it's a Pintrest recipe, you know what that means, right? It could be really delicious or it could be a complete dud. I'm happy to report that I really liked this recipe and I'd definitely recommend it; which is I suppose exactly what I'm doing. If you are a fan of Mexican-style food, this is definitely a way to add some variety to the same old taco/enchilada options.

All kinds of stuff...
One question though - what is the deal with frozen meat? Every time I have to liberate some kind of frozen meat from it's packaging I end up feeling like I've participated in a freaking battle royale! It's nuts! Just getting this chicken free from the plastic and such involved hot water, a knife, banging it around a lot and maybe muttering threats under my breath...by the time I got it in the crock pot, I'd broken into a sweat and may have threatened that this "recipe better be delicious or else I will lose it..." 

Kitchen confessional - no doubt about it. Someone needs to create a better way to package frozen meat or I am going to straight up lose my mind.

Can you even find the chicken? Nope...

Spice, spicy baby! Sorry - horrible joke...
Chicken and Black Bean Bowls

- 1 package frozen chicken breasts
- 1 can black beans
- 1 package frozen corn (I used a 2nd can of black beans, not huge on corn)
- 1 jar salsa
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tbsp. garlic
- 1/2 tbsp. oregano
- shredded cheese
- tortilla chips (optional)
- rice (white, brown or a Mexican/Spanish variety)


This picture makes me hungry....
To Make

- Liberate your frozen chicken from the packaging...try not to damage the chicken or yourself in the process. Seriously, I was wielding a knife and that is precarious.

- Put chicken, black beans, corn, jar of salsa and seasonings in the crock pot. Cook on low for 8 hours.

- Shred the chicken, mix well with bean/corn/salsa mixture and put the crock pot on warm.

- Make rice! 

- Layer the chicken mixture over rice in a bowl...or on a plate. However you roll is fine. It's your kitchen, ha-ha! Garnish with your choice of shredded cheese, tortilla chips..maybe you even want to throw some parsley or a slice of avocado. Sour cream? Guacamole? It's your food - go for it!

I definitely let a little leak over the side. Oops!

Delicious. Easy. That's all you need to know - right?
So - maybe try this out. And I said it was easy...but I'm not promising that getting that frozen chicken free from the packaging will be easy. However, if you can conquer that step then you will be well on your way to a delicious and simple supper!

No comments:

Post a Comment