Tuesday, August 12, 2014

What Does the Fox Say?

Okay - I know...worst title ever, right? I'm sure you've got the song stuck in your head now and I'm terribly sorry but the title just fit too well. I spent Monday morning racking my brain and trying to remember the name of a huge antique shop/thrift store that we'd visited over a year ago when I'd come to Virginia for a visit. I knew the shop had fox in the name and so I even started googling "fox" and "thrift shop" and "antiques" but I couldn't remember it and nothing that kept turning up sounded familiar.

I said something to my Dad about it and he immediately said "Oh, it's called the Copper Fox - I remembered that just last night." Well thanks Dad, glad you shared that information while I've been sitting here trying to sort out exactly where I wanted to go! Ha! In case you haven't guessed, we went on another adventure and this time it involved driving through the mountains to Sperryville, the sleepy little town where The Copper Fox is located!

You guessed it - The Copper Fox actually has a copper fox weather vane!
There wasn't a huge rush to get to Sperryville; it's only about thirty minutes away from our house so we poked down the road, slowing down to look out the windows in Flint Hill and Little Washington and trying to investigate the Rappahanock County visitor's center - the sign said it was open on Mondays but man, that door was locked up hard and fast! Each of these little towns are so unique that I think I could probably spend an afternoon in each, looking at the unique shops and old buildings - it's all fascinating and set against an immaculate mountain backdrop - what's not to love?

The foundation ruins of an old house in Flint Hill.

Butterflies buzzing in the flowers outside the Rappahanock County visitor's center...

Horses on the hill in Rappahanock County - the tan horse was very vocal!
The Copper Fox is a huge warehouse that is filled to the brim with all sorts of things - some of it can very easily be classified as complete junk but there are also some gorgeous things as well. You just have to be willing to look around and see what you can find. Of course, there are probably some things that look a lot like junk but if they only had some tender love and care, they'd be a real find and maybe make someone serious money on Antiques Roadshow (I'm guessing). I stumbled upon a couple things I'd certainly have liked to have but they most assuredly weren't in my price range - I did however purchase a Snoopy Christmas ornament for a whopping $.50!

Newly refinished & painted - I would love for this to be mine!

This needed some work but it would look so awesome refurbished & put in a sweet baby girl's bedroom!

The shop birds hanging out in their elaborate cage!

I had to take a picture for Lindsey - we always try on hats & crack each other up....I was missing my hat partner!

The Copper Fox - definitely a unique shopping experience!
Once we left Sperryville, we drove a bit through the Shenandoah National Park and into Luray to look around just a bit more. Luray is another one of the many small towns that dot the mountainside(s) here in Virginia and it's probably best known for being the home of Luray Caverns...which we have actually been to, years ago! I'd like to go back and see those caves again but that's for another day! We went into a couple stores; including a book store where my Dad never left one aisle the whole time we were there - and there were owls everywhere in the store; I loved it! We finally decided it was time to head home when the sky opened up and started pouring rain; we drove through the mountains toward home in a steady downpour with the mountains in the distance, just a smoking!

The Carillon Tower in downtown Luray!

The Mimslyn Inn in downtown Luray - so lovely.

Just six of what must have been at least 100+ owls in a book shop - I loved the owner's taste!

The mountains giving off steam in the rain showers!

Lush green fields, dark blue silos & gorgeous mountains!

Rainy train trestles on the drive home!
So - another adventure tucked away for the books! I guess I got my antique store gene from my Daddy; my Momma certainly isn't a huge fan of them and she told me recently that my Daddy had "ruined" me. Ha-ha! There is just something so interesting about furniture that has a story; to be able to imagine what it might have seen in it's lifetime, if you will. So yes, I guess I've got the bug...I suppose I am ruined. Oh well!

No comments:

Post a Comment