Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Zippin Zucchini Bread

I must confess - I have never had zucchini before, in anything. I know that's probably a crime or something but it's just the truth and so that's how it is. Well, on my first Sunday afternoon here in Virginia we paid a visit to the Mt. Airy Farm Store and they had samples of zucchini bread on the counter, so I figured I'd give it a taste. It was quite possibly some of the best bread I have ever tasted and so I decided that I had to try my hand at making some bread of my own.

We made a stop at Marker Miller Orchard and Farmer's Market over the weekend and I found two wonderful zucchini that looked like they were born to be put in zucchini bread, so after gathering the final supplies at Aldi on Monday afternoon, I baked up a storm on Monday night!
So many ingredients, but they add up to some delicious bread!

The "wet" mixtures - it might look funny, but it tastes divine!

The dry mixture, which smelled lovely!
What You Need

- 3 eggs
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 cups grated zucchini (I used 2 medium zucchini to get 2 cups grated)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
-1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup chocolate chips


My batter, ready to meet it's new friend(s)...the loaf pan(s).

Before their little visit to the oven....
How to Make It

- Preheat the oven to 350

- Beat the eggs with a whisk until smooth and yellow. Add in oil, sugar, zucchini and vanilla, mixing well. Set aside.

- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, almonds and chocolate chips; be sure it is all combined well.

- Stir the dry mixture into the egg mixture and combine well; make sure there are no lumps or pockets of dry mixture in your batter.

- Pour into two well-greased loaf pans and cook for 60 minutes.

- Serve warm!

And after the trip to ovenland....

Kind of upside down....but look at that loaf of yummy!

So good - I will make this again & again....
This bread was a big hit with the parents - one loaf is already gone and I just made it Monday night! This recipe makes a loaf that is moist and flavorful. As you can see below, even the dog approved. Then again, if he's getting a bite of human food, he almost always approves!

Zucchini Bread: Watson tested; Watson approved!

No comments:

Post a Comment