About Me

My photo
A 30-something living in the foothills of the Virginia mountains; I'm saved by grace, addicted to coffee and my little sister is my best friend! I devote most of my time to exploring, reading, attending as many Nationals games as possible and documenting life here. My Prince Charming got lost somewhere along the way...but I'm trying to remain hopeful that true love exists.

Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Zippin Zucchini Bread

I must confess - I have never had zucchini before, in anything. I know that's probably a crime or something but it's just the truth and so that's how it is. Well, on my first Sunday afternoon here in Virginia we paid a visit to the Mt. Airy Farm Store and they had samples of zucchini bread on the counter, so I figured I'd give it a taste. It was quite possibly some of the best bread I have ever tasted and so I decided that I had to try my hand at making some bread of my own.

We made a stop at Marker Miller Orchard and Farmer's Market over the weekend and I found two wonderful zucchini that looked like they were born to be put in zucchini bread, so after gathering the final supplies at Aldi on Monday afternoon, I baked up a storm on Monday night!
So many ingredients, but they add up to some delicious bread!

The "wet" mixtures - it might look funny, but it tastes divine!

The dry mixture, which smelled lovely!
What You Need

- 3 eggs
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 cups grated zucchini (I used 2 medium zucchini to get 2 cups grated)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
-1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup chocolate chips


My batter, ready to meet it's new friend(s)...the loaf pan(s).

Before their little visit to the oven....
How to Make It

- Preheat the oven to 350

- Beat the eggs with a whisk until smooth and yellow. Add in oil, sugar, zucchini and vanilla, mixing well. Set aside.

- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, almonds and chocolate chips; be sure it is all combined well.

- Stir the dry mixture into the egg mixture and combine well; make sure there are no lumps or pockets of dry mixture in your batter.

- Pour into two well-greased loaf pans and cook for 60 minutes.

- Serve warm!

And after the trip to ovenland....

Kind of upside down....but look at that loaf of yummy!

So good - I will make this again & again....
This bread was a big hit with the parents - one loaf is already gone and I just made it Monday night! This recipe makes a loaf that is moist and flavorful. As you can see below, even the dog approved. Then again, if he's getting a bite of human food, he almost always approves!

Zucchini Bread: Watson tested; Watson approved!

No comments:

Post a Comment