Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Mix It Up!

I don't know what you do when you're bored but I have a tendency to root around in my fridge, see what I can find, mix it up and hope it turns out delicious. This Wednesday night was no exception at all - I was so hungry but I wanted something that was actually....well, good. I didn't want a quick pizza or a bowl of soup, nothing like that...

I knew I had some chicken but I wasn't sure what to marinate it with. Que the fridge and all it's contents; although not fully stocked at the moment, it held plenty of things that I could throw together and toss on top of some chicken. So, I pulled out four things and mixed it up!

Chicken + random sauces mixed together = delicious supper!

Honey Onion Barbecue Marinade

- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 3 tbsp barbecue sauce
- 1/4 tsp. diced onion pieces

Whisk together until smooth and cover each piece of chicken liberally - bake at 350 for 45 minutes to an hour. Enjoy, because this little concoction turned out absolutely delicious! It has a slightly sweet barbecue flavor but the onion gives just a little bit of a kick. Smoky, sweet, slightly tangy - this marinade is the stuff!


Yes, I may have sprinkled a wee bit of cheese on top of each piece.....so sue me.

Ooh wee, that was some delicious chicken!
Another thing I wanted to do was have a little something for dessert but I don't really have anything sweet around the house. I suppose that's a pretty general condition when one is on a diet, but every once in a while I want a little something sweet. So I knew I had some bread and butter and wondered what I might work out with that. Nothing too sweet but I kept that honey handy and pulled out my cinnamon.

All you need for a little bit of delicious is butter, bread, honey and cinnamon
Cinnamon Honey Butter

- 2 tbsp. butter softened
- 1 tsp. honey
- a sprinkle of cinnamon

Cube the butter into small pieces and drizzle honey on the top. Melt the butter and honey together in the microwave, not until runny but just until soft - about 15 seconds. Stir together and add a pinch of cinnamon into the mix. Allow to thicken together and then spread on toast, rolls, whatever type of bread you like. I can assure you, it's absolutely tasty!

Delicious toast covered with cinnamon honey butter - the perfect dessert!
So - when in doubt, just try to mix it up. I wasn't sure what I was going to have for supper tonight but because I decided to raid the fridge and mix some things together, I ended up having what might be the best supper of the week so far! Don't ever be afraid to step out and try new things - especially when it comes to cooking; you might invent something completely delicious!

Of course, a good night's supper means there will be a little beggar nearby!

No comments:

Post a Comment