Friday, July 2, 2021

Five on Friday

It's the first weekend of July, it's America's birthday weekend and I'm bound for the United Kingdom this evening! The second half of 2021 is kicking off with quite a bit of fanfare... if you ask me! Here are five things on my mind on this Friday!


One. The Ol' COVID Swab - The first step in my travel process for overseas travel was to get a COVID test with negative results... and I don't mean the do it yourself version they do at CVS Pharmacy. This was the Urgent Care version where they swab through your nose and into your brain and I got my test done on Wednesday. All in all - it was not so bad at all.


I arrived for my appointment and after check-in, I was taken back and answered a few questions. Once my blood pressure was taken it was time for the lobotomy....eh, I mean the swab. *smiles* The nurse put a long skinny q-tip into each nostril and the whole thing took about... six seconds? It didn't feel great but honestly - it really just wasn't so bad and my test came back negative. Hallelujah!

Two. U.K. Bound in Less Than 10 Hours - I cannot believe I will be United Kingdom bound before this day is over... it's just crazy to think about. I feel like this trip has been on the calendar for months and now it's here and I can't believe it. I've got my pup all taken care of, bags all packed, forms all filled out and I'm ready to go!


I'm not just going to the English countryside this time though... I will also finally get to see Scotland and I cannot wait! My ancestors come from Scotland and I've been in love with the country ever since I cracked open the Outlander series several years ago and then learned that I have Scottish ancestry. I cannot wait to see the land where my people came to America from. *squeals excitedly*

Three. Troubles with the Toe - You know the best thing to do when you're headed for vacation in just a couple days? Slam your foot into a bench and likely break one of your toes! That's what I'm dealing with since I was chasing Watson through the house and my left foot collided with a bench... effectively damaging one of my toes.


I've spent the last 48 hours with my toes taped together, alternately icing my foot and hobbling around. I've made sure I'll be wearing comfortable shoes on the plane tomorrow night that don't touch my foot anywhere and I'll be hoping for the best. *sigh* 

Four. Downton Abbey - Along with seeing all the sights in Scotland... once we return to England for the final few days of our trip, I'm going to Highclere Castle! That's right, I'll be stepping right into the middle of Downton Abbey and I cannot wait. My little sister got me into Downton ages ago when I still lived in Mississippi and I've seen every episode and the movie!


I am so looking forward to seeing this amazing stately English home that is still a working estate in the English countryside. I know it will be so fascinating to see this amazing house and be right in the midst of where the show was filmed. Any other Downton fans here?

Five. Happy Birthday America - It's America's birthday weekend... and I'll be celebrating in the very country we rebelled against to earn our freedom. What a laugh, right? We are planning to grill and party in my sister's little English garden on Sunday and have a blast. It will certainly be the most unique way I've ever celebrated the Fourth of July.


*******************************************************************

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend - I'm not sure how much I'll be blogging over the next two weeks since I'll be doing my best to take it all in as I explore all that Scotland, the Highlands and the English countryside have to offer. I'll be back eventually though! 

No comments:

Post a Comment