Friday, January 29, 2021

Five on Friday - Adios January



One. Bedroom Update - I did just a small bedroom update in the last week and a half and I'm really loving how it's turned out. I "inherited" a lovely navy chair from my parents; it's beautifully made, so very cozy and just the perfect spot to plop down and be comfy! I decided that with that pop of navy added into my room, I needed to tie it in just a wee bit. I'd also been looking for get a comforter that was a bit more heavyweight... so the search began!


I went with white for my comforter and found a beautiful, fluffy and extremely cozy one on Amazon (of course) and I have loved it so much! I decided to use my old comforter as an accent on the end of the bed and tied it together with my old pillow shams and a new navy pillow! The final touch was two navy curtains mixed into my yellow curtains - I think it all turned out excellently!

Two. Turkey Shepherd's Pie - My family had Shepherd's Pie on Tuesday night; a Weight Watchers recipe I might add, and it was absolutely divine. I just knew I had to share the recipe because it was so very tasty and really didn't have too many points. 


What You Need
  • 2 large uncooked russet potatoes; peeled & cut into 2 inch chunks
  • 1/3 cup reduced fat sour cream
  • 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 tsp. olive oil
  • 3 medium carrots; diced
  • 2 ribs celery; diced
  • 1 small onion; diced
  • 1 cup frozen corn kernels
  • 2 cloves garlic; chopped
  • 1 pound ground turkey
  • 1 1/2 tbsp. tomato paste
  • 1 tsp. dried rosemary
  • 1 tsp. dried thyme
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper
  • 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/4 cups chicken or beef broth
  • 2 sprays of cooking spray 

What to Do 
  • Preheat oven to 400. Spray a 2 quart casserole dish (or a cast iron pan) with nonstick spray!
  • Put potatoes in medium saucepan and cover with 1 inch of cold water. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are fork tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and return to saucepan. Add sour cream, butter and 1/2 tsp. of salt and mash with potato masher until smooth.
  • Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add carrots, celery and onion; cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in corn and garlic and cook, stirring constantly about 1 minute. Transfer to bowl. 
  • Return skillet to heat and add turkey; cook, breaking up turkey with a spoon until cooked through. Stir in tomato paste, rosemary, thyme, pepper and remaining salt and cook two minutes longer. Stir in carrot mixture. Stir in flour and broth and simmer until thickened, about two minutes.
  • Transfer turkey mixture to prepared dish. Spread mashed potatoes over top, making sure to cover to the edges. Bake until potatoes are browned; about 35-40 minutes. Serve!
We added in some English peas as well - and it was so very divine! 

Three. My Intent - This company wasn't new to me but this was my first time purchasing from them; have you heard of My Intent before? The company creates bracelets that are stamped with a person's Word of the Year... or a short phrase... a word that might be an encouragement, any of those things really. I sometimes struggle with staying focused on my Word of the Year - so I thought this would be a simple reminder.


The bracelet is a slip knot tie with a silver stamped ring - and as you can see (maybe) my word - Progression - is stamped on the ring. You can choose the metal and the color of your cord, so I went with the silver ring and a maroon cord and I love how it turned out. It's a great reminder that I am growing daily... I am progressing! 

Four. Weirdo - Sometimes I wonder if my dog has forgotten exactly how a bed works... I found him casually relaxed across his bed like this earlier this week.


It must have been a pretty comfortable way to chill though - because I've since found him lying "in" the bed like this twice more. He's such a weirdo. 

Five. Weekend Things - What to do over the weekend? One just really never knows when you are still in the midst of a pandemic and can't go about life as usual. I'm sure there will be some kind of grocery run because... well... would you just look at that map?


As much as I am over Winter, it would appear that Winter is not ready to be over. Forecasts are predicting anywhere between 6 inches and a couple feet of snow - so who knows what it might be? The snow is supposed to start on Sunday and last through late Monday or early Tuesday of next week - so I may be buried in snow by the time the weekend ends. Or - it could be nothing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment