Monday, May 14, 2018

All Things in Bloom

I know - I talked about flowers in my last weekend recap - but I guess there are just lots of blooms around me at present! This weekend was absolutely lovely - weather wise and in so many other ways! I got off work early on Friday and I came home and immediately headed outside to relax on the deck under the umbrella.

img_4299  img_4304

We had dinner at Longhorn - my Mom's choice. I made sure she got to make all the decisions this weekend because honestly; I don't know about your Mom, but my Mom deserves so much more than just one day dedicated to her. I decided to live on the edge and got the baked spaghetti squash as my side, which was a delightful choice! The rest of my Friday night was really low key - relaxing on the deck (some more), watching a little baseball and really just doing a lot of nothing. It was really nice.

Saturday morning I woke up much earlier than I wanted to - I woke up around 6:45 and never really could get back to sleep. I finally got up around 7:15, had coffee and enjoyed the quiet of the morning. I purchased a ticket to the Garden Fair at the VA State Arboretum and so we headed to the show around 10:00. It was gorgeous outside all day on Saturday and the perfect day for all things outdoors!

img_4307  img_4310
img_4309

We perused numerous vendors - there were 100 - and my parents discussed with the different nursery workers (of the plant variety, obviously) about what they wanted to do and how best to achieve the look they were going for. The high on Saturday was only supposed to be in the mid-80's but it became apparent pretty quickly that it was much warmer than that. I waited in line at the wagon corral and was very aware of how hot my neck and arms were getting...

My parents chose knockout roses and a Japanese maple before we got some lunch from one of the food vendors - I had a corn dog and I forgot how delicious a hot corn dog straight from the fryer was! Healthy - not even close, but man it was divine! It was also divine to be sitting in the shade with a gentle breeze, the sun was brutal! Once we arrived home shortly after noon, I spent the rest of the afternoon going from the indoors to the outdoors, watching things being planted and taking my Dad water and also reporting to him about the state of the Nationals game.

My Mom and I made a Target run and I picked up a pair of sandals and a cute red kimono to take on our trip to Vegas and California at the end of the week (!!!) Supper was some delicious burgers on the grill and then; randomly, around 8:30 my Mom said something about going to get ice cream and so we headed right up the road to New Town Creamery where I got a "Crazy Cow" - vanilla ice cream swirled with Reese's cups! Not a bad way to end a Saturday night!


Sunday morning my alarm woke me up with a start - I guess I was making up for the sleeping in that I didn't get to do on Saturday? Who honestly knows? I know I was thankful for my cup(s) of coffee as I got ready for church - and I honestly could have sipped a third cup while I was in church, but then the message got me all woke up and feeling it...and then I was fine. My sweet Momma and I snapped some pictures together before we headed to church - I think they turned out pretty good!

Mother's Day!  img_4322

After the church service we had reservations at a new grill in the area - Paladin Bar & Grill; my parents have eaten here before, but this was my first visit. I can tell you that I'll be returning, the food was absolutely delicious! I started with a cup of the Brunswick Stew and honestly...I could have just eaten a giant bowl of that! It was filled with pulled pork, potatoes, lima beans, corn...all the veggies and the best, most flavorful broth. It was DIVINE! And then I got the Macaroni and Cheese with spinach, bell pepper, chicken and bacon - in a word - decadent. It was melt in your mouth delicious and I have leftovers that I cannot wait to eat!

img_4325 img_4324

We passed the afternoon with more time spent going in and out of the house - my Dad planted small spruce trees and Lantanna in the front yard and once again I brought him water while also perusing my Mom's new Magnolia Table cook book and just generally being a bum. Around 6:00 we went to get Sweet Frog's frozen yogurt for dinner; it was Mother's Day and that's what my Mom said she wanted for dinner - so yogurt it was. We also got some pizza as "dessert" for our yogurt and even Watson got a few bites of one of his favorite meals.

img_4327

I rounded out my weekend getting clothes ready to be packed, taking a shower and watching some Nationals baseball (they swept the Diamondbacks this weekend) and the newest episode of Westworld - which might have been the best episode of the season, so far. Another weekend in the books and now it's full speed ahead through the rest of the work week, until Thursday afternoon when I'm leaving on a jet plane!

No comments:

Post a Comment