Monday, September 18, 2017

Baseball Boys & Pilot's Toys


Did I do all the things this weekend? Sort of - ha-ha! I mean; it certainly felt like I did! I feel like I blinked and the weekend was over! Time flying and fun being had...all those things...


I did a lot of nothing on Friday night. Well - not necessarily nothing, but it wasn't exactly a riveting night. I ate leftovers for supper, got in a little bit of exercise, re-watched the most recent episode of Outlander and packed some things for my little overnight foray into DC. Like I said - nothing too wild and crazy, but I guess I wasn't just sitting there...

Saturday morning I got up, got ready and threw some things in a bag for my sweet pup to stay at the kennel overnight - then we were out the door, dropping the pup off and heading for DC and Nationals Park. We had tickets to see the Nationals take on the Dodgers at 1:05 and so we headed for DC for some baseball, lunch at the ballpark and hopefully a win (spoiler - sadly, no).



It actually wasn't that warm on Saturday - the temperature was hovering at around 85 - but for the first inning or so, the sun was blazing! Happily, a giant cloud slid over the sun at the start of the second inning and the cloud just seemed to grow and multiply and ended up keeping the sun blocked for the rest of the game! I finally tried out See You Tater and got the BBQ Pulled Pork Tots - delicious tater tots covered with BBQ pulled pork, crispy onions and macaroni and cheese - and yes, it was as delightful as it sound! It's making my mouth water just thinking about them!


The game was good...the final score was 3-2 Dodgers; so it didn't really end "good" but the Nationals did rally in the latter innings and for just a bit it seemed like we might pull out a win. Thank goodness the Nationals have already clinched the division and so a little performance slump isn't the end of the world. I'd rather the team slump now as opposed to in the postseason when the games matter all that much more!

There was also a sixth inning home run courtesy of Anthony Rendon - it was the National's first point on the board and of course, everyone got on their feet for that hit! I always enjoy my time at Nationals Park and happily munching on Dippin Dots in the top of ninth, with the sun being shaded by the clouds and the sound of the crowd - I can't think of too many other places I'd rather spend a Saturday afternoon. I'm sure the loss was cushioned by the knowledge that the Nationals have already won their ticket to the postseason...but hey...so what if it was?

Another nice thing about Saturday was that when the game ended at 4:00, we literally only had to walk across the street to the Hampton Inn and we were "home"...at least for the evening. While the sun had definitely helped with the sweaty factor; I took some time to freshen up and then we went to grab some supper right up the block at Gordon Biersche. Cue the need to take a selfie or two...sitting in the lobby of the Hampton Inn after the game...and sitting at the restaurant waiting for supper. Which - it wasn't hot in the restaurant - but I don't know if the AC was working at 100%. Sheesh.


After dinner, we walked over to one of my favorite spots...besides Nationals Park...although this spot happens to be beside Nationals Park, ha-ha! Go figure! We grabbed dessert from Ice Cream Jubilee (one scoop of Apple Butter Oatmeal Cookie and one scoop of Sweet Potato Molasses Candy) and found a table overlooking the Anacostia River at Yards Park to watch the sunset. The weather was really pretty nice - especially if you were sitting still and eating ice cream! I probably took way too many pictures of Yards Park and the sunset - alas - that's how it is!


OH! And one of my favorite things about these pictures - better highlighted below - is that the lights from the bridge shimmering on the water remind me of the opening credits to House of Cards. Granted; on the credits for House of Cards, the shot is from the other side of the river...and Nationals Park is captured too. Hey - you've gotta work with what you've got!

Sunday morning - no rest for the weary! I suppose I wasn't really weary, but we were up before 8:00 AM to have breakfast and get over to Andrews AFB for the airshow...and while; in all honesty, airplanes are more my sister's realm - I know a little bit about them and I like a good airshow every now and again. I took way too many pictures - you'd think I actually liked airplanes or something - which; ha...as long as they're on the ground/I'm not in them.


I wondered around and looked at the static displays with my Dad...and of course, took numerous goofy pictures - which I really feel is a requirement when posing in front of gigantic airplanes...

Some friends had arrived to join us while my Dad and I were taking in all the displays - and I did not know how cute a baby could look in headphones before yesterday, but now I know. I also know I have mad skills when it comes to putting headphones on a sleeping baby without waking the baby up! That's right - I'll add that to the list of (currently) useless skills...

However - once it was all said and done - I was more than ready to get home. I was hot, sweaty and felt pretty...gross. I have never enjoyed a shower more than I enjoyed the one I took when I got home. It felt so nice to be clean! I was able to unpack, catch the new episode of Outlander, watch a little Nationals baseball (they won!) and get some Perfectly Posh happy packages put together before hopping in the bed to read and get some sleep!



And sure - maybe my dog wasn't exactly giving me a smile as we sat on the couch Sunday night - but he had a good weekend too. Little stinker!


No comments:

Post a Comment