Monday, April 16, 2012

Just Playing Games

I am seriously a bad blogger - I knew it had been awhile, but I can't believe I haven't written anything since February. I'm trying to decide what made March so hectic, but I really can't remember. Granted I was on vacation the last 10 days of March but besides that I'm pretty sure I was up to a whole lot of nothing. I mean - if you consider working 8-5 Monday through Friday nothing...then yep, there you go.

March - I'm looking back at my calendar & I just don't see that much of excitement; I guess March was kind of slow & so maybe that is why I didn't write. I know when I ended my last blog post I mentioned March coming in like a lion & it certainly did. On Friday March 2nd, everyone was worried about the weather getting bad & of course, so was I. I tend to worry about the weather far more than is healthy, but I suppose that is just one of the joys of being me. The weather never really got too bad; but for some wild reason the power went off at around 6:15 on that Friday night & so the challenge became trying to find something to do in the dark. My house gets REALLY dark when the power goes out. I mean - it is pitch black. I was pretty proud of myself though, I very calmly went around the house with my one candle & closed the windows I had open before I blew out my little candle & walked across the very dark yard to visit my Grandma. My dog is obviously just as paranoid about bad weather as I am, because he followed right on my heels all through the dark house; it is really a miracle I didn't step on him. I know I was far too excited when the power came back on at 11:15 - I didn't really want to spend the night in my pitch black house all alone; which is silly since I actually do that every night, but there is some kind of security in knowing you can flip a switch & illuminate the whole house. I was really glad to get in my own bed & go to sleep as the rain faded away into the night. We were blessed though - the weather did get bad in other areas, but we were spared & that is something I'm always thankful for.

I really don't remember much worth mentioning happening in March. I went out with my best friend a couple times; I gave him my copy of Catching Fire after he consumed The Hunger Games in about a day. I knew once he got ahold of them there would be no stopping him from devouring them. Since there was still a week until the movie version of The Hunger Games came out & we needed something to do, so we rented the movie 50/50. Now, don't get me wrong - the movie was good, it really was. But...oh geez. Let me preface this a little bit. The movie is about a guy that gets cancer & how he deals with it. The movie is billed as a comedic look at cancer, but I don't really know if  you can make cancer funny - but they certainly tried. David kept saying "Why did we rent this? It's depressing!" but I was a whole other story. There were moments when it was funny, but then the next minute I would be crying like a crazy person. I was laying on the couch & I finally had to sit up because the tears were running down my face & neck & it was just getting irritating. I guess I must have really been getting pretty upset because Watson even came into the living room & crawled up on the couch beside me. David told me that I obviously needed to calm down because I was even stressing out the dog. Oh well - sorry for being too emotional. :) It was a good movie though - rent it if you feel like a good laugh...and then a good cry...and then some more laughter...and then crying.

Let me get to the title of the post though - please, someone tell me that they feel like they are just playing at being a grown-up? Do you remember in Kindergarten that they had all these play stations that you went to & one was a house? I remember pretending to be the Momma & washing dishes, rocking my baby doll...even telling my little "husband" to have a good day at work & all that. Now, even though I'm 27 & I've lived in my own house for almost a year now there are still times when I feel like I'm just playing house. I had a moment like this on Saturday - I was rinsing out the sink & putting up dishes & it was just this really strange thought of "this is YOUR house, YOUR sink...all of this is where you live". I can't really explain the feeling but I have it every now & then & it just completely invades my thoughts for the rest of the day. Another thought that invades my head is how much easier it was to pretend to be an adult than it is to actually be an adult. Of course that is another topic for a whole other day...

I'll blog about my awesome vacation with Lindsey here soon, maybe even this afternoon if I get the chance. There will certainly be some laughs with that one because the two of us can't get together without some kind of hilarity - that is for sure. So, hope you enjoyed the small update for now. I'll write again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment